ClintM

Glass Slicker And Tape Use

I currently don't use a glass slicker to pre-stretch and compress leather before tooling leather, but would like to learn.

I currently put packing tape on the back first, then soak the piece of leather, and let it case overnight .

My question is, do most leather workers who use a glass slicker wet their leather fist then use the slicker to pre-stretch it, let it dry then put tape backing on? Or do they put the tape on, wet it then use the glass slicker, and then case it? What is the order you use when working with a glass slicker?

I guess this confusion has kept me from using it. My thought has been the tape would hinder the leather from stretching and if it stretches too much it would warp the shape of the cut out piece.

Any help would be appreciated.

Respectfully,

Clint Manning

I don't know if this is what the pros do, but this way has worked out for me.

I run water on the grain side and let it case over night in a bag. Sometimes I put a few drops of alcohol to prevent mildew. Pull it out of the bag and let the leather return to its origanial color. When it is done I use my slicker on the grain side. Then I put my tape on the flesh side, use the slicker to help stick the tape on. Then start tooling. Best advice is try different methods and see what happens. I have noticed that thicker leather doesn't need to taped or thinner leather if I'm not tooling too much. I almost always have to tape if I'm using my backgrounder or basket weave a lot. If you get those Tandy bellies, then you need to slick the grain side a lot and then let them shrink down a bit before putting tape on. This is what I found out in my limited experience.

Hi Clint,

As I understand it the slicker is intended to compress the grain side fibers in the leather and make the surface more uniform. That should make carving easier because the grain surface is more consistent. Also, I was once told that it helps the durability of the surface of your final product. Supposedly it made the grain surface more resistant to wear. Don't know if that's true or not.

I use packing tape for every project I do. I first case the leather by briefly soaking it and letting it sit in a bag overnight, and then let it return to near normal color. Then I apply the tape to the flesh side and slick the grain side. Slicking at this point also helps the tape backing to stick. I'm surprised you can get the tape to stick if you are soaking your leather with the tape on. My tape won't grip the leather if it is still wet.

Bob

@ Radthalan and Bob Blea

Thank you such a quick response. The issue seems to be much easier to understand with your responses.

I have been putting on the tape first and I should have waited until it has been cased then use the glass slicker then put on the tape on.

Thank you both Radthalan and Bob Blea you cleared it up for me.

:specool:

Thanks,

ClintM

I've started using contact shelf paper after reading about it on here. I like it a lot better than the tape and it works just as well or better IMO. First of the year i did a full basket weave on a checkbook cover 3/4 ounce and it wasn't streached when i checked it against my pattern it was the same size as when i started.

Hey Dirtclod, is there a certain brand of shelf paper you use? I have been thinking of using shelf paper to try it out. And now I have a large project to do in the future and I might run out of tape if I use it as backing.

I get at a Fred's store it's kinda like a walmart. It's 2.00 a roll i think, i'm not sure what brand it is.

Had a guy come by the shop a couple of weeks ago and he was asking what i did with and i told him and that i got the wood grain print because it held better that the white with flowers.:)

I have used self sticking shelf paper for years and it works really well. The other thing I do is if the project is really critical and I want to ensure It doesn't stretch I line it with Shelf Paper then Glue the shelf paper to poster board with rubber cement. I hate rubber cement on the back of my leather and when I do it this way it sticks really well and when I pull the shelf paper off the leather there is no rubber cement on the back of the leather.

Ken

I might have to switch to using shelf paper. It would be a lot quicker than taping multiple strips of tape across a project. Also, I just remembered a tip I got from Hidepounder: If you draw you pattern on paper you can line the back of the paper with white shelf paper and you can then transfer from the drawing to the leather without moisture ruining you original artwork. I've tried it and it works.

Bob

I get at a Fred's store it's kinda like a walmart. It's 2.00 a roll i think, i'm not sure what brand it is.

Had a guy come by the shop a couple of weeks ago and he was asking what i did with and i told him and that i got the wood grain print because it held better that the white with flowers.:)

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try

I'm going to try the shelf paper that's a great idea.

Thanks,

Clint