patchmanphillip

Tippmann Aerostitch

I like it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Patchman

Thoughts? Sure.

Are you stating that the Aerostitch is new to the market or you are? I ask b/c the Aerostitch has been around for a while, and AFAIK, was discontinued by Tippmann. You can still get them as rebuilt/reconditioned machines, in the ballpark of $1500-$1800 (last I looked). It's a pneumatically driven sewing machine with roughly the same abilities as the Boss. There's a bit more throat clearance on them too. It's an interesting design, but seems to be kind of a 'solution in search of a problem'. I like the simplicity involved, but that's negated by the need to have an air compressor to run it.

For the money, you can be in a Toro 3000, or Cobra class 3 for a little more. With the advancements in the electric machines and the current prices, it's a tough call. The Aero- has some nifty speed adjustments that beat the snot out of an AC motor which needs to run at full speed and have the flywheel palmed for control. With the new machines, set up specifically for leather, CRAWLING speed is as simple as turning a speed adjustment knob on the DC motor, and reverse is a spring loaded lever. There is an advantage in the needle feed/ jump foot design - IF - it's a square feed mechanism. That means the needle moves straight down, straight back, straight up, and straight forward. The result is a very uniform stitch length that isn't effected as badly as a pendulum motion (read as 'more round than square') when transitioning between various leather thicknesses. Now are you going to be transitioning thicknesses a lot? If not, you might be better served with one of the new models.

Would I buy one? Yeah, I would, if the price was such that I just couldn't say no (If you can get one for $400, I'm your new best friend!!!!). I've got an air compressor, and I can build a sound box to keep it quiet, plus a place to set it up. But at the prices I've seen them advertised, I'd be more inclined to go with a newer machine just because of the warranty and support available.

I had a Aerostich and i didn't like it. You can't sew very far and the compressor kicks on and will stay running after you get done sewing. It takes alot of air to run one around 90 lbs i think it is. A 20 gallon compressor will sew maybe 12 to 15 inches before it kicks on. Now if you have a 100 gallon tank i guess it would do better. But i would get a electric motor machine. I really belive you will be alot happier in the long run and have something that easier to sell if you ever decide to.

I had a Aerostich and i didn't like it. You can't sew very far and the compressor kicks on and will stay running after you get done sewing. It takes alot of air to run one around 90 lbs i think it is. A 20 gallon compressor will sew maybe 12 to 15 inches before it kicks on. Now if you have a 100 gallon tank i guess it would do better. But i would get a electric motor machine. I really belive you will be alot happier in the long run and have something that easier to sell if you ever decide to.

Thanx for the input. I heard what you said. I am a nubie to sewing period. Have been advised against the Artisan 3000. Looking more towards the Consew206-RB5. Working a trade. I have a Union Special bagger Model 80700C. Just trying to trade for something I can use.whatdoyouthink.gif

Patchman sewing with a machine like you isn't that hard you just need to pratice some. The first time i ever used one i was told to use my toe and heel to rock the petal. It's strange at first but if you will try it's not to hard to learn to do. What it amounts to is your starting and stopping the machine fast. Pratice on some scrap.

Advised against a toro 3k? I guess the really important question to ask is "what are you wanting to sew?" That is critical when discussing what kind of machine you might want to get.

I like my aerostitch. It has an 11" throat as opposed to my Boss 6" throat. Speed control is dirt simple from dead slow to really fast with just the turn of a dial. Mine is a newer model that has both the needle positioning switch and reverse which is great. It's simple enough to work on myself and Tippmann has all the parts and a friendly technical staff. The air compressor I put in a different room so I hear it kick on but it isn't irritating my compressor will meet the demands of the aerostitch so I don't have to stop if it kicks on.