Tina

I Think I've Found A Goldmine From 1908

I found a whole folder full of leather patterns, all in french (thanks Google for the translations:-) ) Making a few searches it seams to be printed in 1908 and all patterns is in the style of Art Nouveau.

A full book would be 48 planches with , photo and drawing patterns, mine is 46. So, I'm looking for someone that has this book/folder and willing to share the last two I'm missing as scannings...The name is "Le Cuir" compositions decoratives by Jehand Raymond

Just a small picture from this folder/book for all leather people out there:-)

post-5624-094886200 1290434266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tina

Great Find!! How appropriate that you find these patterns!! I'm sure You put them to great use!! Ed

can i find these somewhere online?

Great Find!! How appropriate that you find these patterns!! I'm sure You put them to great use!! Ed

Hi Ed,

I will for sure use a few of them even if I rearrange some of it, how can I not, they are so beautiful :-)

almac:

As far as I know by doing more searches today...These patterns seams to be very/extremly rare and mostly in libraries ref. dep. hidden away and no patterns online that I can find.

Tina it seems you have a collectors item

http://www.icollector.com/Raymond-Jehan-Le-Cuir-Compositions-Decora_i6757493

They are gorgeous - if you want them translated, you can send them to me in France and I'll be happy to oblige :thumbsup:

Cheers Dave

I've found it on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/LE-CUIR-COMPOSITIONS-DECORATIVES-JEHAN-RAYMOND-FRANCE-/300474702403

Tina it seems you have a collectors item

http://www.icollecto...Decora_i6757493

They are gorgeous - if you want them translated, you can send them to me in France and I'll be happy to oblige :thumbsup:

Cheers Dave

For those of you with deep pockets or a very nice mother-in-law looking to buy you an Xmas present there is one on e-bay at $1200.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/LE-CUIR-COMPOSITIONS-DECORATIVES-JEHAN-RAYMOND-FRANCE-/300474702403#vi-desc

Check it out, because it gives some prints of the pages and shows just what an awesome book this is - reminds me a bit of "Secrects of Leather" by FO. Bard

Really Really Cool Find Tina

For those of you with deep pockets or a very nice mother-in-law looking to buy you an Xmas present there is one on e-bay at $1200.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/...4702403#vi-desc

Check it out, because it gives some prints of the pages and shows just what an awesome book this is - reminds me a bit of "Secrects of Leather" by FO. Bard

Really Really Cool Find Tina

Now, I almost feel guilty for the guy that sold it to me...It was fair and square in an auction but this??? It seams I have an angel in leather heaven and I'm more than greatful for the gift of ownership for now...The one on Ebay seams a bit clearer in colors than mine but otherwise just the same.

Great Thanks Dave for the offer, I did found an online translation (my French is more or less - No French) and that helped me with the table of contence so at least I know what it suppose to be, if I come across something inside that I need help with I hope to be able to come back to you for some help:-)

I found a whole folder full of leather patterns, all in french (thanks Google for the translations:-) ) Making a few searches it seams to be printed in 1908 and all patterns is in the style of Art Nouveau.

A full book would be 48 planches with , photo and drawing patterns, mine is 46. So, I'm looking for someone that has this book/folder and willing to share the last two I'm missing as scannings...The name is "Le Cuir" compositions decoratives by Jehand Raymond

Just a small picture from this folder/book for all leather people out there:-)

Tina....these are really beautiful! I would love to see more of this book. You are very lucky to have such a find. Good luck with it!

Sandy Robbins

Fabulous! Congratulations on a wonderful find. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

By the way, there is a ton of interesting information about this art style on the web. Try Googling "art nouveau" and exploring what comes up.

Kate

The finest Book of patterns these eyes have seen........... :thumbsup:

stunning designs. in the instant I saw this, I realized how streamline my thinking is.

Gee Tina I wouldn't feel bad - a sale is a sale and probably felt he got a good deal>

It looks like your Mr Raymond was a prolific designer he also published a book on needlework art patterns and it seems a lot of the art nouveau clip art in the Dover Clipart series also comes courtesy of him.

When will you be posting your first piece - no pressure :)

post-13995-083054200 1290541540_thumb.jp

stunning designs. in the instant I saw this, I realized how streamline my thinking is.

Perfect:-)

This is just the way a forum like this should work, to inspire and develope. I'm glad and hope my little purchase can help you see new ways :-)

Gee Tina I wouldn't feel bad - a sale is a sale and probably felt he got a good deal>

It looks like your Mr Raymond was a prolific designer he also published a book on needlework art patterns and it seems a lot of the art nouveau clip art in the Dover Clipart series also comes courtesy of him.

When will you be posting your first piece - no pressure :)

post-13995-083054200 1290541540_thumb.jp

No pressure uhh? *LOL* (running down to the workshop looking for pieces to work at, Pheuw!)

I also found out Mr Raymond seams to have made a similar pattern folder for stain glass too...How neat to find that one:-)

Sandy:

Thanks, I do feel very lucky, I like the age of it all, these is real Art Nouveau from the period:-)

Kate:

Thank you, I'll for sure look in to it:-)

Luke:

I agree, they are beautiful:-)

HI Having read this thread I bought the book Decorative Floral designs for the hugh pcice of $3 . It is " reproductions of a selections of line illustrationsfrom the portfolio Le Cuir Compositions Decoratives" It has some really nice drawings in it. I would still love the origanal though.

Hi Tina I know this is an older post and you may have posted some of the images some where else. I would love to see any of your work or images from your book. Rob

Hi Rob,

I have yet to make anything using the patterns from the book, most of my stuff is my own patterns that I draw...Just wish the days had more hours :-)

If/when I make anything from the book I will for sure post it here on LW//Tina

Hi Rob,

I have yet to make anything using the patterns from the book, most of my stuff is my own patterns that I draw...Just wish the days had more hours :-)

If/when I make anything from the book I will for sure post it here on LW//Tina

Any chance of scanning the pages high resolution and posting them online somewhere? If the book was from 1908 it's almost certainly out of copyright, being 103 years old. I for one would love to have some genuine art nouveau patterns. The western patterns that seem to be all one can find published these days are fine, but not really my cup of tea.

Any chance of scanning the pages high resolution and posting them online somewhere?

I have been asked that question before and I have yet to decide what to do so, for the moment I'll let it be.

I have been asked that question before and I have yet to decide what to do so, for the moment I'll let it be.

No problem. Just add me to the list of interested parties, should you ever decide to scan them. Thanks!

What an amazing find. And you won't hardly find any books made today with such care and detail. I agree that it is a goldmine and I can't think of a more deserving person to have discovered it. It's serendipity as if Jehan Raymond personally delivered this book to the one person on Earth most qualified to execute the designs. And furthermore this was done all by hand, these wonderful designs that a lot of people can't come up with even with the aid of computers. Such wonderful use use of space in all these designs and excellent flow. I am really looking forward to what you will do with these.

What an amazing find. And you won't hardly find any books made today with such care and detail. I agree that it is a goldmine and I can't think of a more deserving person to have discovered it. It's serendipity as if Jehan Raymond personally delivered this book to the one person on Earth most qualified to execute the designs. And furthermore this was done all by hand, these wonderful designs that a lot of people can't come up with even with the aid of computers. Such wonderful use use of space in all these designs and excellent flow. I am really looking forward to what you will do with these.

Manny Millions of Thanks for your very kind words about my work John :-)

Maybe I should try to make a thing or two from the book and hopefully make Jehan's designs justice...

Manny Millions of Thanks for your very kind words about my work John :-)

Maybe I should try to make a thing or two from the book and hopefully make Jehan's designs justice...

I think that if you did then you couldn't help but to Tina-fy it with your own interpretation and then it would truly be two artists spanning a century. In any case it's a superb thing just to own in the original.

hello to all,

I was intrigued by this and did a search and here is what I came up with (if your interested in more of this style) http://www.scribd.com/doc/60009420/Art-Nouveau-Designs

I have just recently decided to give leather a try as a hobby for profit. I havent bought my first tool or leather scrap yet but I am bidding on some stuff on ebay. I would like to say thanks to everyone who has posted a how to or tip. as I surf through the site, I am inspired and awe struck by the talent here.

the website cited is scribed.com and I find it useful for a variety of topics

Just wondering if you decided to scan any pages from this in the end, Tina? I've been looking to buy a copy of this for ages but the cheapest one I can find is well over $500, so for now I'm just hoping someone will make a digital copy.