3CDesign

Sewing Machine For Sewing Up To 6Oz Leather

Hey folks my First Post!

Im just getting into Softgoods and want to start sewing with leather. Currently I'm using a vintage Kenmore #52 with roller foot, v-90 thread, size 18 needles and a lot of patience. My first bag (4-5oz leather? Over 1/16th thick with a plastic embossed surface) turned out ok but.....anything over 3 layers of leather was causing problems.. duhh lol. Anyways I have a studio apartment and do not plan on sewing tooling leather or anything over 6 oz ( almost crazy for my patterns, types of bags with zippers and such).

Mostly I plan on sewing 3-4oz leather and up to 24oz waxed canvas on a daily basis once school is over. My dining/living/kitchen will also serve as an sewing studio (small apartment). I should have a budget of around $400 and need a machine I can "put away" when needed. Recommend me a machine.

Also I see A LOT of $300-$500 industrial sewing machines on the Portland C.L. would one of these Industrial S.S. machine be better than say a Sailrite knockoff for my purpose if room was not an issue?

Thanks so much

Tony

Consew Industrial sewing machine, walking foot, reverse - $450 (NW close in)

consew 226 Upholstery sewing machine. Works great, has walking foot and reverse, will sew about anything. Table, motor, everything you need, I sewed boat upholstery in Florida and brought it to Portland. Call Ron at 305-394-2278

This would be an excellent machine for you to have.5Fd5Hf5J23E43I73M3c7h28f1e1eb813b1d5b.jpg

Hey folks my First Post!

Im just getting into Softgoods and want to start sewing with leather. Currently I'm using a vintage Kenmore #52 with roller foot, v-90 thread, size 18 needles and a lot of patience. My first bag (4-5oz leather? Over 1/16th thick with a plastic embossed surface) turned out ok but.....anything over 3 layers of leather was causing problems.. duhh lol. Anyways I have a studio apartment and do not plan on sewing tooling leather or anything over 6 oz ( almost crazy for my patterns, types of bags with zippers and such).

Mostly I plan on sewing 3-4oz leather and up to 24oz waxed canvas on a daily basis once school is over. My dining/living/kitchen will also serve as an sewing studio (small apartment). I should have a budget of around $400 and need a machine I can "put away" when needed. Recommend me a machine.

Also I see A LOT of $300-$500 industrial sewing machines on the Portland C.L. would one of these Industrial S.S. machine be better than say a Sailrite knockoff for my purpose if room was not an issue?

Thanks so much

Tony

The only leather you should be sewing on a Sailrite is wear strips and patches. A Sailrite is the Best of that breed but still has a bunch of plastic parts and no safety clutch. Knockoffs of the Sailrite are somtimes iffy, given some of the posts I've seen on LW about their troubles. A Consew 226 or 227, Pfaff 545, Singer 153w might be in your pricerange and suit your needs. Make sure to test whatever you buy with whatever you sew.

Art