HC009

Where Can I Find Types Of Seams For Leather On A Machine?

Hi,

I want to sew leather on a machine but it is quite thick (2mm) and I was wondering if there was anywhere on the internet which described ways of joining the leather / seams together. I was looking at a french seam which has a strip of leather at the back for when you sew down either side of the seam. Any thoughts?

sorry, thanks for the link. That would be great but it's too bulky - it's 2mm thick leather I'm using. I just want to find ways of sewing 2 pieces of leather together sorry for the confusion NOT SEAMS

turn the item inside out, sew along edges, turn back right-side out when done. should work fine on 2mm leather unless you have a machine that is inappropriate for leatherwork.

it will be hard to give recommendations unless we know what it is you're trying to make. seams that would look ok for a bag may not look good for other items.

Hi, thank you for your reply. Yes, I am sewing a leather skull hat / bonnet that is very close to the head and the leather needs to fit around the curves of the head and I just don't know how to get from the pattern to sewing it.

you'll probably just have to look at it a long time and reverse engineer it. that's what i do.

I did a quick search for a leather skull cap pattern and found at least two that sounded promising.

Here and Here

These may, or may not, be what you had in mind, but at least you can see what's going between the flat, uncut material and the thing you put on your head.

The first link looks terrible but the second one is how I was envisaging doing it. That's the pattern. It's how to do the seams nicely.

The first link looks terrible but the second one is how I was envisaging doing it.

I'm glad that I found something that works. I had no clue as to what you had in mind and just did my best at guessing. :red_bandana:

This is one of those times when a picture would have made the difference :P, but at least you can get on the right track, now.

Thanks. I suppose you just have to be practical and work it out. I just always imagine that there is some special way of doing things like you would get with the leathercraftsman at Hermes for instance who make saddles and bags etc. They know all the tricks at how to make things look super slick and professional and most importantly NEAT AS HELL.