I wasn't sure where to post this but maybe someone here will chime in. I just carved this test piece to see if I could pull this off for a wallet that I am giving to a friend. The plan is to do some baroque style scroll work for background then dye the wallet black. I would like to dye the skull white and would like to know how you guys get that antique/realistic bone color on your work.

1975094_10203358624393487_1130350964_n.jpg

post-47864-0-85235100-1394552578_thumb.j

You'll probably have to paint to get any lighter than the color of the base leather. I use some decent acrylic paints that are thinned just a little with water to get it to soak in a little and bond. It's thin enough that several coats are needed and I haven't noticed it flaking or rubbing off on my kid's belts and bracelets. Also, I am using a more expensive paint, not the cheap craft stuff at WalMart because the cheap stuff would barely bond with the leather.

Another method is to apply super sheen to the skull and then do the antiquing paste. The leather will darken except where the super sheen is. Avoid black, it is a detail killer.

Dave

David I agree with Joe. I've never heard of a white dye that actually works. The white colors you see are leather that came white or have been painted. I use the same technique as Joe and use angelus paints. After it dries well and you seal it, it doesn't rub off. Your black dye could be another story. Seems it's the worst for having a rub off problem. Cheryl

Thanks for your replies on this. I was able to find a couple of threads that covered this topic. I'm going to try and dye the wallet black except for this bones graphic then apply RST over everything. Once that dries I will paint the skull and fingers with a mix of white and ocre acrylic (I have some Tamiya model paint that should do the trick). I'll see how that looks and if it's still not satisfactory, I'll apply some antique on top and post the result.

Also, I know that black kills detail but it's what my friend wants. I was thinking of maybe trying the starbust method like fender guitar uses with black and grey but I don't have an airbrush.

Nice work on the old Powell Peralta ripper...