ahimsacowgirl

Trenza Patria

hi

I am looking for a reference or any help on how to do the trenza patria braid ....I have been told that it is the braid in Bruce Grant's Enclyo. of braiding p. 260 but that does not look like it when I do that. I know there has to be a reference out there as many are using it, I just can't find it and no one I have contacted who knows how apparently wants to let others know how....so, if anyone would be so kind to point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I think some confusion might come in what is considered this braid style? I am looking for the flat braid style that ends up looking finished on both sides.....someone suggested also that it might be simply a 16 plait round or square braided without a core flattened out exampled pics ganked from the web or sent to me by a customer......not my work. anyone who could help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jen

on pics...looking a flat part of bosal hanger (incredible isn't it?), flat part of "no ear" headstall, etc

post-16781-078347500 1309528328_thumb.gi

post-16781-036117200 1309528367_thumb.jp

post-16781-004205800 1309528402_thumb.jp

when I do the square braid of 8 thongs (flattened out) p. 260 B.G. encylopedia of braiding this is what I get ....(made a lanyard out of my scratch piece---not what I am looking for and then played with the paracord and made a set of reins)

post-16781-080945500 1309528688_thumb.gi

post-16781-078538200 1309528717_thumb.gi

post-16781-009482500 1309528751_thumb.gi

post-16781-040916000 1309528789_thumb.gi

the braid on page 260 is the trenza...it takes a bit of practice...the main thing is to make sure you alternate over/under on each side. i dont see that in your pictures...perhaps if i get the time i will try to post a short tutorial...i hate when people are unwilling to help and share....

At his workshop in Feb Nate showed us a version with 12 strings. I recall you set it up with 5 on one side and 7 on the other but can't quite recall how to do it. Maybe AggieBraider can remember and chime in?

Lol thats all I could remember too was that there was an uneven amount of strings in each hand. Want2braid wrote it down I believe so hopefully he can answer. If not we might have to call Nate lol

ring ring ring ring

Edited by Bevan

Thanks entiendo.

B...

Here's a tutorial I found by doing a google search. This one has a crocodile ridge down the center.

Crocodile Ridge Trenza Patria

B...

Thanks for posting that Brian, it reaffirmed what I thought about last night in that if you have 7 on one side and 5 strands on the other then go O2 U2 on the 7 strand side and U2O2 on the 5 strand side, thats the trenza patria.......If you dont do the twist in the center in the tutorial, it wont have the crocodile ridge. It can be done with any even number of strands if you do the uneven splitting in your hands and alternate the braide O2U2 and U2 O2 on the correct sides. The only problem is that this doesnt have a finished side on both sides of the braid.....You will end up with the grain side on one side and the flesh side on the other. If you want grain side on both top and bottom you would have to do a round braid without the core and pound it flat.....Or you can do 2 8 strand braids and lace them together in the center and it will look like 16 strand on the top, but you will see the 2 pieces of 8 strand if you look at the bottom. Ive been wanting to do a split ear headstall that way, just havent had the rawhide to do it.

Hope that helps, and thanks again Brian,

CW

the trenzas in the photos arent finished on both sides...the double edge structure of the trenza braid keeps the braid nice and flat and neat looking. .if you want both sides finished you would have to do something like the braid brian showed, or work out a round braid that you could flatten....or i have seen round braids over thin leather straps as a core gives your braid a flat look.

Thanks for posting that Brian, it reaffirmed what I thought about last night in that if you have 7 on one side and 5 strands on the other then go O2 U2 on the 7 strand side and U2O2 on the 5 strand side, thats the trenza patria.......If you dont do the twist in the center in the tutorial, it wont have the crocodile ridge. It can be done with any even number of strands if you do the uneven splitting in your hands and alternate the braide O2U2 and U2 O2 on the correct sides. The only problem is that this doesnt have a finished side on both sides of the braid.....You will end up with the grain side on one side and the flesh side on the other. If you want grain side on both top and bottom you would have to do a round braid without the core and pound it flat.....Or you can do 2 8 strand braids and lace them together in the center and it will look like 16 strand on the top, but you will see the 2 pieces of 8 strand if you look at the bottom. Ive been wanting to do a split ear headstall that way, just havent had the rawhide to do it.

Hope that helps, and thanks again Brian,

CW

R Edwards shows the 12 strand trenza patria at the end of the book round knots. advanced leather work. i have a few trenza patria's in my spnaish book but their packed up some where let me see if i have something digital and i will try to post it.

AWESOME! this is helpful.....

Email me

Hi every body

The braid in the first post is an 13 plait braid, it´s diferent from the others show above. Here in Brazil we use to do that braid in mule tack. It´s not that dificult to made. First you make two groups of strings, one with 6 and other with 7. Begining in the side you let with 7 strings you must go over 3 and under 3, than you go to the other side that now have 7 strings and do the same thing. Now is the secret of this braid. At the side you started you now go under 3 and over 3 (at the first time you pass O3 and U3), and do the same at the oposit side. And then you go on changing every time you back to the side you started, one time O3 U3 and other U3 O3. I hope this can help you.

Here is a picture from the book Trenzas Gauchas. post-10388-003000300 1309885467_thumb.jp

I think so.....it looks good even if its wrong lol

i think its wrong....but kinda hard to tell....did you do alternating of the over and under? what i mean is the pattern goes something like left side-0/u right side u/o left-u/o right-o/u.....make sense?

Edited by roo4u

i think its wrong....but kinda hard to tell....did you do alternating of the over and under? what i mean is the pattern goes something like left side-0/u right side u/o left-u/o right-o/u.....make sense?

Yes I alternated the over under. I had 5 strings on the left and went over 2 under 2. From the right I went under 2 over 1. Seems like it would make a pretty good hatband, bracelet or hobbles.

and on the next pass you did ...left side under / over and right side over/under? when i look at your braid i dont see the alternating pattern that one usually gets with a patria...usually you get 'v's running sideways on the braid instead of the length of the braid like a traditional flat braid. just like the round guacho braid...the v's run the circumference instead of the length....i braided a few leashes using a combination of the two braids and they go perfect together because of that.

and on the next pass you did ...left side under / over and right side over/under?

86237%20simpson%20doh.jpg

That's what I was missing. I just played with a little paracord and that made it look much more like what Nate showed in Febuary.

d'oh.....lol i was beginning to think it was me, that i was looking at it wrong or something. i do like the look of the flat braid you did...ill have to mess around with it and see if it will work for some stuff im working on.

yes....see how you get the double thickness on the edge? you can mess around with the actual braiding pattern as long as you alternate the o/u u/o on each side. this is how this braid can be used for so much strap work in horse gear...the edge is much firmer and the braid less likely to roll up because of it (IMHO)