Sign in to follow this  
firefly67

making my first handbag

I'm making my first handbag with a side panel; my previous 3 designs have just been front & back pieces laced together. This one will have the side piece folded over (riveted? don't know yet) a D ring. To attach the strap I was thinking of a 'trigger snap' - not sure if that is the right name for it or not. But I see a couple different types - one that swivels, one that appears stationary. Can anybody suggest whether one or the other is better? I'm thinking the swiveling kind would be better for a shoulder bag like this will be, but am not sure.

Also, I don't know anything about rivets or snaps. What'd be the strongest way to fasten down the leather that holds the D ring in place, some kind of rivet? I could sew/lace it down, as all the rest of the bag is laced - no machine sewing at all.

In the interest of matching up what has already been done on the bag, I'd lace the D ring leathers on the bag but also might use a single double cap rivet for extra security. Ohio Travel Bag has a large selection fo trigger type snaps made especially for hand bags. They are much smaller and would probably look better over all than the tack and harness trigger snaps. In any case be sure to use swivel type.

Paul