cleanview

Pics Of The Previous Inlay Question

Trying to figure out what went wrong with my first inlay attempt.

Was looking good and then got darker and lost color contrast after wet forming.

It is dry in both pics

I wonder if the inlay should have been sealed before forming?

There is a piece of foam behind the inllay. Dont know if that factors in?

post-23581-0-86991300-1413289045_thumb.j

post-23581-0-34044300-1413289055_thumb.j

Of course any other comments are welcome as well......and I already know there is to much clutter in the work space.

I don't know if the foam caused your issue (it might be holding water), but either way I wouldn't use foam. When you cut the "window" for the inlay out of the reinforcement piece, save the leather that you cut out. Depending on the thickness of your inlay, trim the piece you saved (for me I usually take 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch off the entire edge). Glue that piece to the back of your inlay. When you assemble the inlay in the "window", make sure the piece of leather you glued to the back of the inlay is centered in the window. That will push the inlay forward into the "window" once you attach it to the main body of the holster.

I don't soak any of my holsters with an exotic inlay to assist with molding. I use a sponge to control where the water goes and how much I put on. I have never put water on the exotic hide. I do use a sponge or damp rag to wet the inside of the holster behind the exotic inlay, but I never soak it. I do the same thing with a full overlay. I carefully wet the inside of the holster, but not the exotic hide.

Hope that helps.

Very good tip about the inlay process. I will keep that in mind on the next one.

I seal with 50/50 acrylic resolene..........should the inlay be sealed as well???

I dip seal everything, and also dip everything in water when it is time to wet form. Never had that happen. I've also never used foam behind leather either, who knows what kind of chemical reaction may have taken place.

the foam was someting I read somewhere and sounded good......makes sense that there could have been some reaction.........people really liked how it turned out so I cant wait for them to see one that actually looks like an alligator ......and this holster was a freebie for my son...he will be allright..........I cant wait to try another one and it seems like the cutout leather piece trimmed a bit would be good behind it and then sponge it for forming instead of dunk......but as I type I am thinking ...if moisture is a problem for the exotic then sealing has a very similar effect ????? HMMMM there is always something

If getting your exotic wet messes it up, then you need to have a chit chat with your supplier.

The elephant you are using shouldn't have changed color like that...i use elephant a lot, and have never had a piece do that...hippo yes, elephant, never...i think the foam is the culprit...how long has the holster been out drying...it might lighten back up after a few days of drying...

it stayed dark. the holster was for my son.

Based on what I have read the foam was probably the problem.

Next one I do plan not use foam.......maybey leather, if anything. .....then sponge wet for forming ..........but have no clue if I should seal as usual with 50/50 acrylic resolene or not????

I dunk mine to form, and I use the angulus 600 cut with water to finish, pretty much the same as resolene I think.

The tanning methods used will differ from one "exotic" to another, and where in the world your hides are coming from. Every hide is different, and every tanning method produces different results (sometimes even at the same source, depending on solution strengths, immersion times, temperature, ambient humidity, and how the workers hold their tongues during the process). Then every piece will react differently to every different sealer and finish applied (again time, temperature, humidity, and other factors may result in variations). Next, you are applying your exotic onto a veg-tanned leather holster body, so there could be some residual chemical reactions taking place (maybe only under some conditions of time, temperature, humidity, etc). Finally, you inserted a piece of "foam" (probably a synthetic rubber compound of some type) which may have added to the mix with chemical reactions.

The only "for sure" method I know of is to test small pieces or scraps of everything to be used in a project with every dye, sealant, oil, and finish to be used, both individually and in combinations. Even then, the tests you perform this week for a project may result in different effects with the same materials on another day with differing temperatures, humidity, etc. The piece you finish and deliver this week is very likely to look a bit different a year or two from now.

Leather is also photoactive, reacting to some types of light. Sunlight can be counted on to darken many leathers when exposed, with no way to predict actual results over lengthy periods of time. I have noted similar effects in leather exposed to fluorescent shop lights for extended periods.

I do all of my dyeing and finishing processes in house using both commercial and proprietary products. I make a strong point of informing every customer that variations will occur, that final finish colors and shadings are expected to vary from hide to hide and from batch to batch, and that I will not guarantee a specific result. When a customer starts insisting on a specific result (such as matching a new piece to a prior production of my own or someone else's) I have learned that this is a good time to walk away from the project.

I do all of my dyeing and finishing processes in house using both commercial and proprietary products. I make a strong point of informing every customer that variations will occur, that final finish colors and shadings are expected to vary from hide to hide and from batch to batch, and that I will not guarantee a specific result. When a customer starts insisting on a specific result (such as matching a new piece to a prior production of my own or someone else's) I have learned that this is a good time to walk away from the project.

I hear you...i once spent 5 hours mixing dyes, testing, drying, finishing, drying and drying again to match ring lizard to a set of green camo grips...i still have 10 or 12 jars of various shades of green laying around my dye station...