Sign in to follow this  
CollinsMS

Skirt Lacing

I have a saddle with lacing between the 2 skirts under the rear jockey. I can remove the jockey easy enough, but I can not figure out how they laced the skirts together. If the lacing wasn't bad I wouldn't worry about it, but it is in bad shape.

Thanks

Collins,

A pic might help here. There are a few patterns that different makers use to join skirts. Anything from simple "X" patterns to weaves. If the holes are there, you can use about whatever you like. If you want to duplicate a pattern, make notes as you take it apart (under how many/over how many, back so many holes, etc).

If the question is "how did they lace these together in the first place?", they did it with the skirts off the saddle. You have to drop the skirts, which is probably a good idea anyway to get some more perspective on how the maker did things anyway.

It is a simple X lace. I figured the skirts had to be dropped, I couldn't see how anyone could get their hand in there to lace with the skirts on. It should have a new lining so that would be the best time. So if the skirts are off how did they figure the spacing of the skirts to lace them so the lacing is not to tight or loose when the skirts are put back on.

Collins,

The skirts should be butted together. No gaps, no space between them. Do they have a gap?

Remove the skirts from the tree,remove the old lace, cut some new lace, roo,or latigo, relace using the existing holes, pull the lace up tight, you want it tight.Bruce Grants book has methods for flat applicade braide, and the gaucho weaver, which is found on the better quality saddles.