Matt T

Dinosaur Leather

What...?! Awesome.

Now I'm wanting to stitch up a T-Rex bag, but I'm thinking my awl isn't sharp enough!

Neatsfoot oil anyone ?

I bought a shoulder of this stuff to carve and wet form a great big bag! It was less than Herman Oak by $1.00/ft. My grandson thinks I should remember when they roamed our neighborhood.

jr

From National Geographic: Click Here for Full Article

"Scientists today announced the discovery of an extraordinarily preserved "dinosaur mummy" with much of its tissues and bones still encased in an uncollapsed envelope of skin.

Preliminary studies of the 67-million-year-old hadrosaur, named Dakota, are already altering theories of what the ancient creatures' skin looked like and how quickly they moved, project researchers say."

...."Plant-eating hadrosaurs are often called the "cows of the Cretaceous"—the geologic period that spanned 145 million to 65 million years ago—Manning said. They had horny, toothless beaks but hundreds of teeth in their cheeks and a long, stiff tail that was likely used for balance."

JREESER1 did NOT buy a shoulder of this. Obviously.

Remember that alligators and crocodiles are also left over dinosaurs, so people do make things from dino-leather!

JREESER1 did NOT buy a shoulder of this. Obviously.

He actually bought a shoulder ...he gave me a piece big enough to make this collar. Thanks JREESER1 !!!

post-21349-0-32127100-1432401399_thumb.j

You are very welcome Leather Legion. I still have about 1100 square feet left. I'm thinking of hand stitching a mile long 2" belt.

jr

You are very welcome Leather Legion. I still have about 1100 square feet left. I'm thinking of hand stitching a mile long 2" belt.

jr

That's one small shoulder...only 1100 square feet??? What's the belt for? 2in wide sounds a bit extreme for any project . Edited by LeatherLegion

Nice collar or belt or whatever but ain't dinosaur leather you dips. No one would sell you that, even if it existed. CHERYL

Dinosaur leather would sell great as bags. It would have a great coolness factor (it would even work well for checked luggage, I doubt the airlines could damage it).

If it's fossilized to stone, you might be able to use it for a ladies handbag. They wouldn't notice the weight difference that fossilization makes anyway.

Bill

JREESER1 ...did you ripped me off brother ??? DoubleC seems to know what she is talking about. I will google it anyway just to make sure.

I got to thinking about it and I want some. Loved the way it looked on the collars. How much you charging a sq. ft? CHERYL

Quick update :

I just looked into this dinosaur leather and it's pretty much legit. The leather comes from a small , family owned dinosaur farm out of Arizona. and they have few distributors across US. I just got off the phone with one of the owners , Fred , which seems to be a very nice guy ....also very helpful and knowledgeable , and I was told that the dinosaurs are bred and raised executively for their hides as the meat tastes like chicken and nobody is interested

He also said that next year is planning on getting few dragons for the same purpose .

One of his distributors (Exotik Skins 'r us) also carries hair-on werewolf and gargoyle hides , unicorn shell cordovan and hopefully starting next month , he will stock mermaid skin tanned using pixie dust ...which should be great for card holders and such ...

So...yeah...so much for "dips" DoubleC...

LOL, you guys....

Ooooh I want some mermaid tanned with pixie dust. I need to make some pretty interiors. Did mr. Flintstone say when it would be ready? Does it come in colors? CHERYL

I'm having issues with keeping my tools sharp! Stropping is all I've been doing for 3 days.

jr

I'm having issues with keeping my tools sharp! Stropping is all I've been doing for 3 days.

jr

I have found dinosaur is like alligator crust. It cuts better on the bandsaw when you get to the crunchier parts. Hard to sew too when you get to that part. I converted my sewing machine to spin the needle in instead of just trying to push it.

If anyone knows were I can get some T Rex teeth for a knife handle to go with my Dino sheath, let me know.

JREESER1, you are using the wrong materials. Stone tools work best on Dino leather.

I just keep thinking of a unicorn horn for barnishing the edges.

Edited by jrny4wrd