Sign in to follow this  
Toadflax

Verdigris Forming On New Oak-Tanned Leather

I've recently started to use good quality oak-bark tanned bridle leather for belts.

However, I've found that I'm getting verdigris forming on the brass buckle where it is in close contact with the leather (e.g. where the leather strap goes through the buckle) – and this is marking the leather. This is forming pretty quickly – after only a week or two.

I see from searches that I shouldn't be surprised that verdigris is forming, but it seems to be appearing rather quickly.

Cleaning the brass isn't a problem, but I'm a bit concerned that the verdigris stains appear on the belts after only a short time.

Being bridle leather, the leather itself is well finished when I get it, so I've just been applying carnauba wax as a final polish. I don't know if it is possibly related to the carnauba wax, or some interaction between the wax and the tannins in the leather? I see that a number of people don't even bother adding a finish to bridle leather, given that it is already stuffed pretty much with oils and waxes.

Any advice gratefully received.

Geoff

Edited by Toadflax

Is your brass unsealed? Most brass is lacquered to prevent corrosion and tarnish. It could be that your brass buckle is not, or the lacquer coat is too thin, and the buckle is reacting with the acidity in the leather.

Is your brass unsealed? Most brass is lacquered to prevent corrosion and tarnish. It could be that your brass buckle is not, or the lacquer coat is too thin, and the buckle is reacting with the acidity in the leather.

Thanks - it may well be that it isn't. I've been using up my stocks of (fairly cheap) brass buckles, pending getting some better ones to go with this better quality leather.

Geoff

You might try hardware supply stores or art stores and see if they have a spray-on lacquer. It might seal your current buckles enough that they can be used up until you can get youself better stock.

You might try hardware supply stores or art stores and see if they have a spray-on lacquer. It might seal your current buckles enough that they can be used up until you can get youself better stock.

Great minds think alike!

I was just seeking out some lacquer to apply to the existing buckles.

Geoff :)

I give my buckles a good polish, and then a coat of Renaissance Wax (http://www.picreator...issance_wax.htm). It forms a transparent coating on the brass, and helps to prevent the tannins in the leather from oxidising the brass. It's readily available on eBay, and the 200ml size lasts for years! The Queen uses it, too!

I give my buckles a good polish, and then a coat of Renaissance Wax (http://www.picreator...issance_wax.htm). It forms a transparent coating on the brass, and helps to prevent the tannins in the leather from oxidising the brass. It's readily available on eBay, and the 200ml size lasts for years! The Queen uses it, too!

Thanks - I've got some of that on order too.

Thanks - I've got some of that on order too.

Hi, The verdigris can form for a number of reasons, residual chemicals from the tanning process or sweat from the horse/person. All types of verdigris can be removed with a bit of rubbing and scrubbing and some mild acid such as vinigar or lemon juice. It is formed when unalloyed copper in the brass or bronze reacts with a salt of some type. If you are going to polish the brass to remove the signs of tarnish or in some cases the pitting where copper has been leached from the item. It is important to clean the surface after polishing to remove any waxes or fats from the polish compound prior to coating it with a porotective coating. The reason being that there are still small amounts of verdigris in that wax or fat that can restart the processall over again. If you do not have special brass lacquer or Renaissance Wax on hand another coating that also works is clear nail polish.

Regards

Jeff