HELLO AMERICA!

What are good stiffeners for belts, a secret held by those who know!??

Some say zink..stainless steel, plastic, spring steel, Galvanized metal, copper,Egyption secret metal, even unknown elements from other planets!

Well.. share the secret to the best stiffeners, please. My wife and children are being held hostage until the best material is divulged! ..After one week I know not what will happen?..

deadsubject.gif

SEE! I told you it was a secret rarely shared.

I dont think this sub-forum gets as much traffic as some of the others. My 5.11 belt has a thin layer of white plastic of unknown material. More than likely HDPE.

try plastic shipping bands from home depot or lowes ....the ones that they wrap up and throw in the trash. Glue it down then stitch it.

...and for future reference, this is an international community.

GOOD MORNING VIIEETTNAAMM!

Just a little robin williams here.

Yes this is an international forum.!

whatdoyouthink.gif

P.S. Deio, quo vaudis?

GOOD MORNING VIIEETTNAAMM!

Just a little robin williams here.

Yes this is an international forum.!

whatdoyouthink.gif

P.S. Deio, quo vaudis?

We use Nylon about an inch wide. Glue it in and then sew the edges of the belt. The very same thing your seat belts are in your car only not as wide.

thanks for your reply. I need feedback, and that sounds good. I'll try one or two!

thanks for your reply. I need feedback, and that sounds good. I'll try one or two!

There's a thread going on now on one of the gun forums regarding stiffeners....some swear by em and some feel they are not necessary.

A couple things I've noticed about them.....a belt will soon form that s curve in them to conform to your body shape....a stiffener will fight that, and may prevent it all together....that will mean an uncomfortable belt.

Someone stopped by with a nylon belt that has a Kydex like plastic stiffener in it....the belt got folded in half, got sat on...now the Kydex has a fold in it that won't come out so the whole belt is folded at that spot.....can't heat the plastic cuzz you'll melt the nylon before you can get it hot enough.

The question I always have is, just how stiff does a belt have to be to do it's job?......I maintain two layers of leather equaling 1/4" (or even one layer for that matter) thickness, glued and stitched is plenty good.

But I guess if you believe stiffer is better....rock on.

I guess you could use the acquired 'stiffener' in the areas where it will make contact with the holsters to prevent them from wearing out. I do have to say many, many years ago before I became involved in leather, I had my duty belts and holster made by an old guy. My belts were made with two strap pieces glued together equaling 8-10 oz and stitched, no liner. They have held up for over 20 years and still kicking. I use the same concept now when I make my belts. I hope this helps.

It helps me. I've got a couple guys who want thinner belts than 10 oz and yet stiff like a 10. Cannot find a material that I like and have tried all the above suggestions.

I want things in life I can't get too. So I am not going to try this anymore for now.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

It helps me. I've got a couple guys who want thinner belts than 10 oz and yet stiff like a 10. Cannot find a material that I like and have tried all the above suggestions.

I want things in life I can't get too. So I am not going to try this anymore for now.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

Kevin, try hard rolled horsehide, 8oz of that should do em.

HELLO AMERICA!

What are good stiffeners for belts, a secret held by those who know!??

Some say zink..stainless steel, plastic, spring steel, Galvanized metal, copper,Egyption secret metal, even unknown elements from other planets!

Well.. share the secret to the best stiffeners, please. My wife and children are being held hostage until the best material is divulged! ..After one week I know not what will happen?..

deadsubject.gif

Your serious, right? I have been making belts and tack for 8 or 9 years never heard of a stiffener for belts. Maybe you should ask the Chinese.

Good Morning Busted:

Many people (read customers) want a thinner, smaller belt for OWB carry that will fit INSIDE their belt loops.

They simply cannot use a 10 or 12 OZ 1 1/2 belt.

One answer MIGHT BE to use a stiffener material between thinner, say 3 OZ leather.

Many gun belt makers are currently using a stiffener layer of different sorts.

The answers to my question point out others here are using them.

Kevin

Good Morning Busted:

Many people (read customers) want a thinner, smaller belt for OWB carry that will fit INSIDE their belt loops.

They simply cannot use a 10 or 12 OZ 1 1/2 belt.

One answer MIGHT BE to use a stiffener material between thinner, say 3 OZ leather.

Many gun belt makers are currently using a stiffener layer of different sorts.

The answers to my question point out others here are using them.

Kevin

I read here some one suggested that you use the horse hide. It is excellent for what you are trying to do. You want an 8 ounce belt that will almost stand by itself in the corner. Right?

I have some 4 ounce vegetable tan material that is a very firm hand it should do what you want. You can't bend this stuff to a right angle or it will crack but for a belt liner I think it will work.

PM me with your address I will send a sample to you.

Has anyone tried the bag stiffener sold by tandy?

i bought something from joann fabrics that is very similar to the tandy bag stiffener. i use it merely as a filler to fill out the belt to give it a bit more "body" if you will. i'm not sure it will act as a true stiffener for a belt, though.

I haven't seen it mentioned here but Looper and Aker belts (been wearing an Aker for 2 years now) advertise using "Kydex" in their reinforced belts. I know next to nothing about Kydex and what I do know of it is that it's a thicker material that is used for holsters etc. and in that case it seems to be thick and stiff enough that it will crack or break. If it's thin enough does it flex instead of crack? If it is Kydex in my Aker belt it is definitely flexible enough for a belt and hasn't seemed to crack or break up at all.

Edited by markush

I dont think this sub-forum gets as much traffic as some of the others. My 5.11 belt has a thin layer of white plastic of unknown material. More than likely HDPE.

If it's white it's probably High Impact Styrene which comes in many thicknesses. It's what I use use when I insert stiffeners.

I guess you could use the acquired 'stiffener' in the areas where it will make contact with the holsters to prevent them from wearing out. I do have to say many, many years ago before I became involved in leather, I had my duty belts and holster made by an old guy. My belts were made with two strap pieces glued together equaling 8-10 oz and stitched, no liner. They have held up for over 20 years and still kicking. I use the same concept now when I make my belts. I hope this helps.

Isn't the inside layer a liner???:rolleyes:

I have built belts on and off for 40 years and I install stiffeners fairly regularly. A lot of times customers are concerned about the tails breaking down and flopping and when that is an issue, I will install a High Impact Styrene stiffener between the belt and the liner. If I'm doing a filigree belt, sometimes a stiffener helps the leather from breaking down at stress points. However if your customer insists on wearing their pants three sizes too small then you will definitely have a challenge on your hands to prevent the center belt loop from folding the belt down and creating a "V". I'm sorry but that's just reality. I suppose a thin metal plate will do the trick and help to prevent or at least delay the deforming of the back of the belt, and there is nothing wrong with doing that....the tough part is deciding whether or not you will explain the problem and fix to the customer or just doing it to avoid insulting them! :blush:

Edited by hidepounder

If it's white it's probably High Impact Styrene which comes in many thicknesses. It's what I use use when I insert stiffeners.

Isn't the inside layer a liner???:rolleyes:

I have built belts on and off for 40 years and I install stiffeners fairly regularly. A lot of times customers are concerned about the tails breaking down and flopping and when that is an issue, I will install a High Impact Styrene stiffener between the belt and the liner. If I'm doing a filigree belt, sometimes a stiffener helps the leather from breaking down at stress points. However if your customer insists on wearing their pants three sizes too small then you will definitely have a challenge on your hands to prevent the center belt loop from folding the belt down and creating a "V". I'm sorry but that's just reality. I suppose a thin metal plate will do the trick and help to prevent or at least delay the deforming of the back of the belt, and there is nothing wrong with doing that....the tough part is deciding whether or not you will explain the problem and fix to the customer or just doing it to avoid insulting them! :blush:

Wher4e is the best place to get the High Impact Styrene? Thank you. Ken

Ken I get it from a plastics supplier. They are a wholesale outfit and they sell the High Impact Styrene in 4'x8' sheets.

How about this, found after a Google search.......

http://www.amazon.com/Impact-Styrene-Sheet-White-Length/dp/B0013HKYQ4

Hey Russ.

I don't know about the plastic, but did you see the 12x12 vac ad below the plastics???

whatdoyouthink.gif

hello, hidepounder

It's not the back loop that needs stiffening in the mind of my clients. It where the holster, with say a 1911 45 cal., attaches to the belt.

They are looking for a belt less than 1/4 thick and yet holds up to that weight year after year. Even so far as to have a "dress belt" of 1 inch and yet carry concealed and even covert.

Kevin

hello, hidepounder

It's not the back loop that needs stiffening in the mind of my clients. It where the holster, with say a 1911 45 cal., attaches to the belt.

They are looking for a belt less than 1/4 thick and yet holds up to that weight year after year. Even so far as to have a "dress belt" of 1 inch and yet carry concealed and even covert.

Kevin

Holsters are far from my specialty, but it sounds to me like they are asking for a lot of guarantees that might not be reasonable......

Holsters are far from my specialty, but it sounds to me like they are asking for a lot of guarantees that might not be reasonable......

But their requests are reasonable, and are met by many belts.

The plastic (I don't know what kind of plastics work best) lining inside a gunbelt stiffens the belt so that the belt won't roll over, or sag, where a heavy gun is hung from it. Unlined or flexible belts will not only sag at the point of the weight, but will also have to be tightened uncomfortably in order to hold up that weight. A properly stiffened gunbelt can be worn more loosely and comfortably, and still support the weight of a heavy gun and spare mags. My pants weigh about 11 lbs loaded the way I wear them. An unreinforced belt would have to be worn very tightly in order to stay up. My inexpensive, plastic reinforced gunbelt (5.11 brand leather with plastic stiffener inside, $40 at LGS) holds my pants, gun, and gear up just fine, and it doesn't sag where my holster attaches to it.