Oscar B

What helps with swollen hands

What helps when hands are swollen? What are some of the thing you use to reduce the chance of carpel tunnel? I ask this because my hand is about two times as big a usual and sharp pain plus can not hold a thing. :censored2:

What helps when hands are swollen? What are some of the thing you use to reduce the chance of carpel tunnel? I ask this because my hand is about two times as big a usual and sharp pain plus can not hold a thing. :censored2:

Sounds like you need a trip to the doctor. Here is a link to some info on Carpul Tunnel. At Mayo they seem to view it as more of a symptom of some thing else than a thing in itself. They down play the repetitive motion part of it there. They do not encourage the surgery or the injectons either. I have severe Carpul Tunnel in both hands so I was expecting them to tell me I needed surgery instead they have me doing excercises and made me attend a class on how to use my body better. Big thing they stressed is wear gloves. Rubberized gloves when you do things that you need to grip so you don't have to grip as hard and padded goves when you do things that vibrate. Wearing braces at night has helped me a lot but Mayo made them custom for me. When I was talking to the hand doctor and playing with the model of the hand I said I thought the braces I saw in the store were all wrong and the doctor said yes they are terrible so if you go cheap and get those you need bend the metel plate so it is straight. I also had the brace maker make me a special brace that I use when I am cutting so the round knife doesn't push on the carpal tunnel.

David Genadek

I'll second what David says about going to the doctor. Who knows what is causing the swelling but a doctor could give you some ideas.

Also gloves are very helpful. So is stretching, just like he says.

I've got carpal tunnel in both hands and I had to train myself to use my tools differently. I never bend my hand down towards my arm... I keep it in line with my arm, or else I bend my hand backwards. Even when I'm asleep I don't allow my hand to bend down towards my arm. (I think that is part of what those braces do for you.) I don't hold tools in between my thumb and forefinger. I hold them between my first two fingers, and then use my thumb to guide them. It's weird but you get used to it. I can even hold a pencil that way, and write.

I was also told not to get surgery or injections, and by following the doctor's orders I have managed to overcome it to a certain degree. If I started using my hands and arms improperly again no doubt I would swiftly be in pain, but at this time I can do most things and not even notice any discomfort. It took a while to get to that point though.

I will see the Dr. next month. Just love the time factor. Thanks for the information.

I'd like to suggest NOT hitting your fingers with a maul. Fingers are not supposed to get between your pounder and the stamp. And nix the idea of cool wavy patterns by trying to transfer fingerprints to the leather with a mallet....it don't work.

Good luck with the doc, I hope you can get straightened out soon.

Mike

I have it also, Avoided surgery so far doing the same things as David. The exercises and the Braces at night, or driving long distances, playing on the computer too much...... I started trying to remember to wear them when I am tooling. I think they have helped my tooling some when I wear them because it keeps my wrist in a consistent position. And my elbow off the table. I have not found a way to carve with my swivel knife with them on yet. My braces came from the surgeon also. He did not like the OTC ones either.

I was not ready for the % of loss of use that comes with getting the surgery done.

Some will say do not do the surgery. Some will say do it. My sister had it done, and has her hand almost all the way back. Each person's outcome is different.

As a side not, for quick relief, sometimes the old fashioned remedies can work. Whenever we had things like that in the old days, we resorted to Epsom Salt soaks. Temporary mind you, but relief none the less.

Make sure you have the doctor/nurse check your blood pressure. The swelling of the hands sounds like your pressure is elevated. The sharp pains, sound like carpel tunnel. Both of those sound like a trip to the doctor. ;)

Marlon

I don't know about swelling, but I have to wear a wrist brace on my mallet arm if I'm doing anything extensive. Sore muscles don't bother me too much, but I'm not a fan of sore joints.

Eat a Butterfinger candy bar and drink a chocolate milk shake.....................................it won't make the swelling go down, but you'll feel better while it's swollen. (Just a little Humor to lighten your load)

Paul

Damn, I hate hearing this stuff. I don't have carpal tunnel but I do have some arthritus (spelling?) in my hands. There are times when I just have to stop working on leather for a week or 2. When you see the doc, have him/her check for arthritus as well. I say that because from what I understand, carpal tunnel is in the wrist and should not make the hands swell up.

Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

(edited to fix spelling error of Good)

Edited by Gremlin

Damn, I hate hearing this stuff. I don't have carpal tunnel but I do have some arthritus (spelling?) in my hands. There are times when I just have to stop working on leather for a week or 2. When you see the doc, have him/her check for arthritus as well. I say that because from what I understand, carpal tunnel is in the wrist and should not make the hands swell up.

Gook luck and keep us posted on the results.

i have been told by someone who suffers from swollen joints that edible linseed oil, (from health food shops) is the bees nees for easing the symptoms.

1. He also told me that when you buy some, make sure it is in a black/opaque bottle cause sunlight deteriates it.

2. To take it effectively and for the body to use it it must be taken with a milky fat, like cottage chreese or yogurt (not probiotic, I don't know why I didn't ask)

3. Different manufacturers have different tastes but down to personal preference so can't advise on taste, it isn't all that pleasant.

He aldso swears by nettle tea, to drink and as a coolant.

but most importantly...

cool and elevate regularly.... another friend says that he switches between warm and cold cloths on an elevated hand apparently the heat stimulates repair and the cold reduces swelling.

hope this helps.

pip

when i worked for the post office i knew several carriers that had carpal tunnel...the ones that had surgery were pretty much ruined but alot of them opted for chiropractic and acupuncture instead. those that went that route had excellent results relief from symptoms and no need for surgery. only had to go for treatments every few months after the initial treatment. chiropractors say the cause of c.t. is pinched nerves in your neck.

First off i would like to say I'm sorry to hear of your common shared hand malady. I've been suffering from it too and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. i ride a motorcycle everyday, sit in frot of a computer AND come home and do about 5 hours of leather work a night sometimes. SO, I now get the wrist tingleys, and I got a good gangelon cist growin that gets up to the size of a pea when really aggitated. Nice huh? I feel old when this happens. ;)

Most of the people are right who graciously responded. See a doctor. Do other exercises and seek alternative solutions.

Take it easy if you have to. I find that actually socializing outside of my little leather shop gives me a well needed rest. I've been hammerin away a lot lately and my friends wonder what has become of me.

I hope it gets better for you or at least is not so bad.

Best of Luck!!!

Travis

when i worked for the post office i knew several carriers that had carpal tunnel...the ones that had surgery were pretty much ruined but alot of them opted for chiropractic and acupuncture instead. those that went that route had excellent results relief from symptoms and no need for surgery. only had to go for treatments every few months after the initial treatment. chiropractors say the cause of c.t. is pinched nerves in your neck.

I use a chiropracter but I would be very skeptical of one that said a pinched nerve in the neck causes carpal Tunnel syndrome. I have a herniated disc and a due to that the nerve that comes out there is in a precariouse position. When they did the test ,that Leatheroo does for living, they tested it and it was not effecting my hands. So a choiproprater could say that a pinched nerve in the neck can cause similer symptoms but that is very different than actually having Carpal Tunnel. What leatherroo does is really amazing and incredible objective. It blew me away to see how specific they could be with things. In addition to that test I also had MRIs done so they could actually look at my spine and nerves to see if there was a problem. My nuearologist was very clear with me about not going to chiropracter because one wrong move and I will have a serouse issue. I am going to a physical therapist which has helped my neck issue a lot. It can be really tough to get a proper diagnoses. I'm fortunate in that my local clinic is Mayo but most of their paitents come from all around the world so if any one is feeling like they are getting the run around get a referral to Mayo. They have translaters on staff for nearly every language.

David Genadek

I feel for ya. Same predicament here. Years ago I used a rehab center that had a vat of some kind with really warm wax in it. You kind of neaded it around, man that really felt good and took the pain away. Didn't do a thing for swelling though.

first I would check with a Doctor and if not a thing to wrong i would find a masage theropest or some thing like that . I go to human and equine theropast and help me a lot. the same guy worked on my dads hand that were going numb and thay are a lot better after jim worked on him. try some alteritive stuff first accuprecher and puncher cant be all wrong look at the 600,000 chiness.

Russell

ps some good down time with friends would be a good thing