Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

My First Dress Sporran!

As you all know, my parent's 40th anniversary vow renewal is this weekend. I wanted to make myself a dress sporran, anyway, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity! I made it in the color scheme of my parent's party- partly because it's getting worn tomorrow, but mainly because I like the colors! I got the cantel from Stillwater kits. The tassels are horsehair tassels from Tandy Leather. So- Here are some pictures:

151052_1745956892443_1344395918_1877340_4475409_n.jpg

74481_1745957012446_1344395918_1877341_318_n.jpg

77095_1745957172450_1344395918_1877342_299639_n.jpg

Man, that's HOT. I'd wear that in 1/3rd of a heart beat!

Question on the Cantle though...

do you find it "cheaply made" - as in - thin metal material with cheap plating?

Or do you find it to be a very quality item?

Thanks.

Looks great!

Chris

Man, that's HOT. I'd wear that in 1/3rd of a heart beat!

Question on the Cantle though...

do you find it "cheaply made" - as in - thin metal material with cheap plating?

Or do you find it to be a very quality item?

Thanks.

Well, it only cost $18, so how much can you really expect? It's not like a high-dollar cantle. However, for the price, you really can't beat it! It is a really nice cantel. The metal isn't really thin. It's nicer than the ones that come on their premade sporrans. The detail is sharper, for sure. For a nice economy cantel, I would recommend it! I totally plan to upgrade as funds become available, but for now, it's perfect.

And thanks for the compliment. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while.

Actually, I just did a quick search and found cantles in 2 price ranges- <$300 and $25- 30. I found a really cool looking antique brass one in the $30 range that I may have to go for some point after Christmas!

Edited by Nighthawk

Well, it only cost $18, so how much can you really expect? It's not like a high-dollar cantle. However, for the price, you really can't beat it! It is a really nice cantel. The metal isn't really thin. It's nicer than the ones that come on their premade sporrans. The detail is sharper, for sure. For a nice economy cantel, I would recommend it! I totally plan to upgrade as funds become available, but for now, it's perfect.

And thanks for the compliment. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while.

Actually, I just did a quick search and found cantles in 2 price ranges- <$300 and $25- 30. I found a really cool looking antique brass one in the $30 range that I may have to go for some point after Christmas!

Nice one mate you did really well on this Sporran! Hope it wears well!