jbird

Leather workers contests

Do I have to be a member of a leathercrafting guild to enter my work in contests,

Were can I enter my work what leather shows is there a thing like this I need help understanding how this all works. I got in touch with Johanna and she sent my some stuff but I still have these questions can you help me to understand thanks.

Joshua

There are a few contests around the country where you do not have to belong to a guild, Sheridan and the other shows that the LC&SJ puts on. But you will be up against some of the best in the leather business. If you join a guild you can show at the IFLoG Show each year. By showing at that show you can show against people with you skill level. You can start in begining, which is someone with less than one year of experiance, if you are just starting out. Then you can advance to OPEN, you can show in open until you have won 5 first places if I remember. You can then go on to advanced and then to the masters after meeting the requirements. You can go to the International Federation of Leathercraft Guilds web site, it will tell you all about the different classes, divisions and the rules of showing. It is a great time and I would not miss it for the world. I had to give up Sheridan last year because of a child graduating high school and will miss it again in 09 for the same reason. But that is a show worth attending.

Also by going to the shows you can take classes by some of the great masters, look and try out all the new and great tools and network with everyone in the leather business. I have made some very good friends at the shows and look forward to seeing them every year.

If you have some specific questions I would be glad to answer them the best I can.

Randy

Very helpfull that answers a lot of questions, but I still have a few, first off what if there is not a guild close to were you live then what do you do. next is can you send your stuff to be judeged with out being there in person.

Thanks a lot josh.

Very helpfull that answers a lot of questions, but I still have a few, first off what if there is not a guild close to were you live then what do you do. next is can you send your stuff to be judeged with out being there in person.

Thanks a lot josh.

In my case the closest guild is in Kansas City or Topeka ks, both over an hour drive one way. So I choose to join the International Internet LeatherCrafters Guild. It is an online virtual guild that is reconized by the IFoLG. You can also join any other guild but it helps to be conected somehow by attending meetings or active in some other way.

Yes, you can mail in your entries. You have to make sure they are sent in time and they must arrive prior to a specified date. You must supply return postage to have them returned. I have never done this so I cannot tell you if it works. It must because a lot do send them. You miss a lot by not attending but if you cannot afford the trip it is the next best thing. By going you get to see all the other entries and you can compair yours to others, get ideas of things to try and see some you would never attempt. There is just so much to learn by attending. The judges are required to write comments when your projects are judged so you know what they liked and disliked. And you get a nice ribbon to hang on the wall and collect dust. No money payback, it's just for show.

Randy

There are plenty of IFoLG guilds that accept out-of-town members. Of course, I'm more familiar with the east coast ones, but Pitt Pounders, Buckeye Leathercrafters and The Georgia Leathercrafters all take members from around the world, and send you a newsletter. I don't usually recommend the IILG (the Internet guild) because to actively participate you need a Yahoo account, and to be in a meeting you have to download and install an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) program. (Oh, yeah, and their leadership threw me out for starting this site!) Dues are cheaper in geographical guilds, too.

I have been asked why LW is not an IFoLG guild, and there are two big reasons. One is that IFoLG guilds pay dues based on membership, and we can't afford the dollar per person. The second is that an IFoLG guild has to meet certain obligations- they must send two delegates to the annual show, they must set up a display, they must agree to host shows every so many years etc. LW is just not set up to do that. I suppose a subgroup of LW could be established and could apply for membership in the IFoLG in Indianapolis in 2009 so that members could enter the 2010 show, but someone else would have to take on the responsibilities. If there is enough interest, maybe someone would start another thread and put out some names for officers and volunteers?

Johanna

Josh,

I have mailed entries to the last several shows. Like Randy mentioned, you need to watch the deadline dates, it's usually a week or two before the shows. It can get pretty expensive to mail things depending on what service you use. A couple years ago, I took some pictures to the UPS store figuring they could pack them up and mail them for me. Since it was considered art work, they packed them in a box, wrapped that box in bubble wrap, then put them in another box. They were pretty worried about them getting wrecked, or that the jar of pickles grandma was mailing to someone might break and leak on my package. By the time they were done packing, it was an oversize package and with insurance ended up costing $80 to mail, each way!! The next time I mailed something, I just packed it myself and mailed it through the post office. When the package got there, they called and said 3 of the corners of the picture frame had been chipped off. That time I had taken a chance and not put insurance on the package. When they mailed it back, they re-packed it in a different box, but it still looked like it had been dropped in the street and run over. There was a big hole in one side of the box.

There aren't any local guilds around here either. I am a member of Columbine Leather Guild in Colorado. It's about 600 miles away. I know other people close to here that are members of Lonestar. I think most of the guilds would be happy to sign you up and they don't cost much for dues.

The last few years there has been another show in the spring that basically follows IFOLG rules, but you dont have to be a member of a guild to enter. I am not sure if there is a show coming up this spring. Anybody know??

Thank you all for your input it is really clearing up some of my questions, but I have one more thats nagging me, clay what kind of participation is needed how do you get involved thanks

josh

Josh,

In my case, participation is pretty much none. That's the down side to being part of a far away guild. The Columbine guild gets together every month for a meeting, does some craft shows, teaches kids, just had a Christmas party etc. and I miss it all. Kathy (Yaklady) puts out a monthly newsletter. I was hoping to get to attend at least one of thier monthly meetings this year and maybe do a demo on something, but it just didn't work out. Basically, if you become a member like I am, you just pay your dues for the priveledge of being able to enter the IFLOG show.

On Leatherworker's main page, there is a link to a page that will show you most of the IFLOG member guilds and most of them have either a website or an email to get in touch with someone. Here's a link to the page

Thanks clay very much for helping me out. And every one for taking the.

Josh