Sign in to follow this  
3arrows

English Saddle billets

I have to replace the billets on an english saddle that I have. Is there a company that sells pre-cut and punched billets? I have searched on EBAY and in several tack stores that I use and cant find them. Any suggestions other than cutting my own?

If I do have to cut my own, seems like the billets are very hard leather, probably chrome tanned?? I do have some harness leather that I can cut them out of. What do you guys do for this type of repair?? thanks ron :helpsmilie:

Windmill English Saddle Supply, 7186 Dewey Rd., Thompson, OH 44086

Ph. 440 298 3018

Hope that helps, Kevin

Thanks Kevin, Ill give them a try... ron

There are a couple of ways you can do this if you don't have pre made billets.

When you get a new side it of course needs a straight edge. Depending on what the saddler has in mind for that side they will either make the initial straight edge as close to the spine as possible "OR" come down from the spine about 10 inches and straight edge there. They can then put this 10 inch or so peice aside for cutting girth billets and stirrup leathers at a later time (saving the area as close to the spine of the beast for the stirrup leathers).

I was taught to make my stirrup leathers so that the grain side ran thru the stirrup slot (better wear). Conversely the girth billets were stitched onto the saddle tree cross web with the grain against the web (again better wear). This was done on all but dressage saddles where the billets extend below the saddle flap.

Barra

Thanks, Barra

I was going to say that, but it would have started me on a rant. Nobody seems to care about that anymore. They just want it to look pretty. Stubben uses laminated billets, at first I thought they had rawhide in the middle. Then customers started bringing them in and they had delaminated when they oiled them. They make stirrup leathers like that too. The other day, a girl brought in a bridle and the bit ends of the cheek pieces had come unglued. I told her to throw it away, its not safe. New Cavalry and Edgewood make allthese fine pretty bridles that look beautiful when they are oiled. They split the grain off, add raises,glue and stitch the grain back on and voila, you have a pretty bridle that is essentially split leather with a very thin layer of grain added to the top. Oh, and some nice stitching, and its not good leather in the first place.

I've also started seeing stirrup leathers made grain side out. Retailers don't know the difference and pass their ignorance on to the customer.

Uhoh, I did it anyway, Sorry, Kevin

Thanks Barra and Kevin, good advice as always. I did find some nice quality pre-made billets at Windmill Saddle Supply. Next time Im going to make my own, I know enough now to cut them myself. Thanks again.. ron

Kevin,

Traditionally, English stirrup leathers were made with the flesh side out. The grain side was deemed to be harder-wearing and so was put on the inside where it would last longer when rubbed by the stirrup irons and stirrup leather loops on the saddle.

However, it became the fashion to have them made with the grain side out so they look better.

Nowadays, with so many multi-layer stirrup leathers (nylon webbing sandwiched between two layers of leather, for example) it doesn't really matter.

I've taken a few high quality, expensive, saddles from well-known makers apart for repairs and, under the nice shiny and prettily stitched exterior, they aren't that impressive. Some have had some really shocking construction techniques.

You might want to try Abbey Saddlery in the UK for pre-cut billets.

Gary