BeltFanDan

Help With Line Snaps

I am using Tandy Leather line 24 5/16th snaps on a project. They are being used on 8oz leather. The problem I am having is that I need about 20 snaps for a 10 snap job.

I have the snap anvil and setter tool, but it seems like everytime I hammer down, I am bending the post in a direction instead of pushing the tip of the snap to fold over and hold on the snap piece. I am having this problem on the female snap parts. Male snaps I have no problem with.

Any ideas or suggestions? Video links, how to's, etc are appreciated. I thought it was pretty simple but it isn't working for me.

The post is probably a tad too long for your 8 oz. Just shorten them up as needed.I use my belt sander but a file would work or snip them off and restraighten them with some pliers.Just don't don't take off too much and watch how you strike the setter so you keep it straight.Dave

I don't think they are even long enough, I been looking for longer snaps, as the female snaps tend to pull off sometimes because there is not enough post folded over when they do hammer down correctly.

If you don't think the posts are long enough, you can skive a little under the snap- preferrably on the side that will be hidden- to create a little more space. Wetting it (a little) can help you compress it, too.

If there's no detail work on the good side, I sometimes just whack the leather where the snap is going to go with my small ball peen hammer to flatten it out a tad, then re-punch the hole (whacking it will close it up). Of course, I mainly build armor, and scuffs and imperfections are all part of the process there...

I dont think it's a matter of the posts being too long. I think you might be hitting the setter at an angle. The setter needs to be stright up and down or it will bend the post.

Tom

Yes, I know the setter needs to be straight. Seems like the post doesn't want to fold over though.

Can you post a picture of it after you try?

ArtS

To be honest, I never was able to get clean, consistent results with the "manual" snap setters.

I picked up a press and dies set to do it, and now I get perfect results *every* time. Yeah, not cheap, but a lot less frustrating.