Larry

What is in Leather Carving and Stamping Conditioner?

I see where Tandy sells a Leather Carving and Stamping Conditioner that is mixed with water and use to case the leather. Being retired and on fixed income, I'm always looking for ways to make my own tools and accessories. Is this something that can be made at home to aid in the carving and stamping of leather? Thanks, everyone. Larry.

Larry, the quick answer is try a few things and see what works. Personally, I squirt a little Lexol into my casing water to soften the leather and improve the depth and colour of the impressions. Not much so it doesn't cost a lot. I also drop a little washing up liquid (as a surfactant) in there too, and on the odd occasion when I remember, I use a few drops of teatree oil (which works as as an antiseptic) to keep away the fungus. I guess if you add it all up, my casing water costs me about 20 cents a pint, absolute tops.

Now, if you are asking me if it all works then I can only say I believe it does... I'll leave the science to those better able to explain it.

Have fun,

Ray

I use filtered water out of the filtered tap, then I put 2-3 drops of dishwashing detergent per pint of water. Just enough that when you shake the bottle it will have some bubbles. I then use this to case the leather. While still wet on top I put several drops of lexol conditioner and a large drop of Johnsons baby shampo NO Tears formula! and rub this in, work it into the leather very well while the leather is still wet on top. This conditions the leather and acts like a lubericant and makes it very easy to carve. The Johnsons no more tear will act as a luberican as well as an anti fungal. Thats why you use the no more tears formual. An old saddlemaker showed me this years ago and it has worked very well over the years. I have heard of other reciepts over the years that are very simular. It's whatever works for you.

Some recipts use listerine mouthwash, not sure I would want that in my leather.

Edited by Timd1159

Thanks, everyone, I'm going to give it a go. I have one more question. When I draw on my flesh side to create borders or designs, how do I get rid of the impressions it leaves?

Thanks, everyone, I'm going to give it a go. I have one more question. When I draw on my flesh side to create borders or designs, how do I get rid of the impressions it leaves?

WHEN YOU DO DRAW ON THE FLESH SIDE OF YOUR LEATHER. DRAW YOUR LINES VERY VERY LIGHT...

PLEASE CHECK OUT PAUL BURNETTS TOUTORIALS. THEY WILL BE VERY HELPFUL TO YOU.

Thanks, Luke... I'll check out the tutorials. I've read a few so far, just haven't seen one on taking care of the leather before and while carving and stamping. I'm sure I will come across it. This is all new to me and so far I'm lovin' it. Last time I carve or stamped leather was in Boy Scouts. I'm 65 now, so you can see that was some time ago. Thanks again. Larry

Here's some additional information concerning Johnson's No More Tears for an anit-fungal treatment. It is NOT the most effective anti-fungal because they use Quaternium-15 in their formula. Johnson's No More Ingredients

Ingredients

Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, PEG-150 Distearate, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Quaternium-15, Citric Acid, Yellow 10 and Orange 4. May also contain: Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide.

Quaternium-15 is a quaternary ammonium salt used as a preservative in many cosmetics and industrial substances. It acts as a formaldehyde releaser. It is a water soluble anti-microbal agent that has proven active against bacteria, but less active against yeasts.

As you can see from one of the cosmetic sites it is not a broad spectrum anti-microbal agent. It has been proven to be less active on yeasts as stated above.

Regards,

Ben