humperdingle

Did I Use Too Much Neatsfoot?

Hi folks, I made this little triangular purse today... It was made with untreated 3mm veg tan, treated with Neastfoot, dyed then resolene.

I'm thinking I should have done the dyeing before Neatsfoot?

The little blotches came up after the Resolene stage (No bubbles were left on the surface)

Has the concoction forced some oils out of the surface?

post-38532-0-01146000-1361910623_thumb.j

nope, that should be the method to use. I suspect that, even though you didn't see any bubbles, there were still some irregularities in the Resolene's application. It looks like you have some streak marks there as well, which is what leads me down that path. Did you cut it 50/50 with water first? How are you applying? If you can't spray with an airbrush, the cleanest way to get Resolene on evenly is to use a lightly moist sponge (squeeze out any drips and then blot it off so it's almost dry) and then get a little bit of the 50/50 mix on there. Remember, several light coats is better than one or 2 heavy coats.

nope, that should be the method to use. I suspect that, even though you didn't see any bubbles, there were still some irregularities in the Resolene's application. It looks like you have some streak marks there as well, which is what leads me down that path. Did you cut it 50/50 with water first? How are you applying? If you can't spray with an airbrush, the cleanest way to get Resolene on evenly is to use a lightly moist sponge (squeeze out any drips and then blot it off so it's almost dry) and then get a little bit of the 50/50 mix on there. Remember, several light coats is better than one or 2 heavy coats.

Aaaah...No, I put it on neat. I apply with a dampened sponge.

I'll try mixing some 50/50 like you suggest, thank you.

I'll try mixing some 50/50 like you suggest, thank you.

That's probably what happened. It's just too thick to get an even appearance when used full strength from the bottle.

I usually get that little bit on my sponge, wipe it on, then go back to the start immediately and kind of rub it in with circular motions really lightly.

nope, that should be the method to use.

I wonder – how long after applying the Neatsfoot did you dye, and then how long after applying

the dye do you put the Resolene on? I always wait a day for everything to dry. I apply the Neatsfoot

on dry leather and wait a day. Apply dye and wait a day… etc. How long do you wait, Cyber?

How long do you wait, Cyber?

regardless of what I'm about to say, the way you're doing it is right ;)

Once my dye is dry, I tend to give it a buffing and then wait a couple hours before I apply a light coat of neatsfoot to help pull the dye in and even things out if they don't quite look right. After that, i may or may not put on another coat of neatsfoot in a couple of hours. At this point though, if I do apply it, it's applied to the back of the project to prevent any interference with the dyes. This coat is just to make sure there's enough conditioning in the leather and has nothing to do with the dying process. From there, I usually attempt to apply the first of 2 - 3 coats of 50/50 resolene after a few more hours. Now, the second coat is usually put on within the next hour or so because I want it to somewhat reactivate the first and even it out (the first coat has more of a chance of going on uneven because it's applying to a rough surface). Then I go to bed and come back the next day to see if it needs a 3rd.

Ideally, you should be letting each coat of Resolene dry for at least 4 hours, overnight if it's getting antique over the top.

It's almost definitely the full strength resolene. I used to hate it until I started thinning it down. Ill normally dye before the neatsfoot though but it shouldn't matter either way.

I apply the resolene with the foam brushes that art stores sell. I rarely do two coats as it gets a little shiny for my taste. One fairly heavy coat works well for me. Keep in mind its not spray paint and as long as its not laying on top of the leather its not really too heavy of a coat. If I'm spraying it I may do two coats but I only spray it if antique is involved otherwise it doesn't seem to get into the leather as well and its a pain to clean out the airbrush every time.

The only other finish i'd used was Tan-Kote, which is MUCH gloopier. The Resolene is almost a milk-like viscosity, so I didn't think it would need to be watered-down.

I have a small pouch drying, so I'll try the 50/50 tomorrow.

Humperdingle said: "The only other finish i'd used was Tan-Kote, which is MUCH gloopier. The Resolene is almost a milk-like viscosity, so I didn't think it would need to be watered-down."

I don't mean to sound harsh, . . . but you need to take some advice from some folks who have been there, . . . done that.

Resolene NEEDS to be watered down.

Attempting to use it full strength, . . . and not applying it correctly is what got the bubbles you left on the project, . . . that later broke, . . . giving you a product that looks very much like it had the measles. Again not meaning to hammer you, . . . but you asked what happened, . . . and that is most likely the culprit.

There are probably a few bodies on the planet who successfully use it at full or near full strength, . . . but their numbers pale next to the rest of us who water it seriously.

I also only use a cheap bristle brush, . . . and get very acceptable results.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Humperdingle said: "The only other finish i'd used was Tan-Kote, which is MUCH gloopier. The Resolene is almost a milk-like viscosity, so I didn't think it would need to be watered-down."

I don't mean to sound harsh, . . . but you need to take some advice from some folks who have been there, . . . done that.

Resolene NEEDS to be watered down.

Attempting to use it full strength, . . . and not applying it correctly is what got the bubbles you left on the project, . . . that later broke, . . . giving you a product that looks very much like it had the measles. Again not meaning to hammer you, . . . but you asked what happened, . . . and that is most likely the culprit.

There are probably a few bodies on the planet who successfully use it at full or near full strength, . . . but their numbers pale next to the rest of us who water it seriously.

I also only use a cheap bristle brush, . . . and get very acceptable results.

May God bless,

Dwight

I am taking advice... or is that not clear?

OK, thanks Cyberthrasher - I tried a 1st coat of 50/50. I didn't use Neatsfoot at all on this pouch - It was veg tan to start, then dyed prior to drying for the Resolene.

The 50/50 seems to be absorbed much more readily - within a few seconds, and hasn't left any surface issues. I'll allow to dry thoroughly then try your multiple thin coat technique.

Next thing i'll try will be something identical to the triangular purse, but with 50/50.

Thanks again.