Rayban

Can Someone School Me On This Braiding?

I can do a bleed knot but I can't wrap my head around how this one works.

I've been asked to make a dog leash with this braiding to attach the snap clip at one end, and the loop handle at the other.

I need a tutorial of sorts...can anyone help?

Thanks much.

post-4803-0-94450600-1415389951_thumb.jp

post-4803-0-49240200-1415389960_thumb.jp

post-4803-0-21093000-1415389968_thumb.jp

Looks to me like a Slit Braid handle. Which means they made the handle first and then put the snap end on last. Google should be able to come up with a tutorial on that type of braid.

I don't know what it's called but I can make it. Found out by taking one apart.....I'm going to base my instructions off the images you uploaded.

The leash is a single piece.

the tab you see on the top layer is the end of the strip. cut a slit length wise a little longer than the thickness of leather your working with. (use scrap to practice on!)

Figure out how big you want the loop to be for the handle and double it (from the image it looks to be a 6" long handle so 12" total length) and measure from the end of your first slit down the length of the leash

Make a similar slit at the end of your measurement.

fold the piece flesh to flesh and push the "tab" end through the second slit until the first slit is all the way through.

grab the end of leash (thats the end closest to the animal) and fold it back grain to grain running it through the first slit all the way till tight.

Clear as mud?

Thanks CG.....i'm working on it...between reading your instructions and studying the piece......I may be able to get it.

look on you tube

Thanks to everybody for the help.

I am very interested too in this style of brading since I saw it in an old camera handle.

Please, Does anybody know the name? I need it to look for a tutorial.

Thanks again!

Yes, that's definitely a slit braid - I made a headstall from Grant's encyclopedia that is all slit-braid, turns out very nice; looks just like the images you've shared. Grant's has a nice section on it, not sure of other references. Nice thing about it - just need a piece of leather and a chisel, and they work out very easily while looking fantastic! Good luck.

Edit: Quick googling and found this tutorial for a thong attached to a blade.

Edit 2: And then I happened across this great video making a slit-braid leash.

Edited by Ccastle27

Ccastle27 is Correct! Slit braid it is. I have done several of them, they are super easy. I will make a video and TRY to post it on here...... That will be the fun part for me, trying to post the video. Electronic devices seem to disagree with me because I don't know what I'm doing lol.