Does anyone know what kind of leather Saddleback Leather Uses? I know they have their own tannery in Mexico, but specifically what type. Is it Latigo? Is it Nubuck? Is some sort or Retan?

Im looking for a good, strong sturdy type of leather that will stand up to most anything but will also absorb the character that goes a long with a long, leathery life.

Thank Everyone!

-Brad

I think I read some where that they use Chrome tanned leather.

Karina

They use chrome-tanned. In the video about how to make knockoff bags, there are Le Farc rolls of leather in the bbackground. I have not seen if they get leather tanned to their specs or if it is one of Le Farc's standard leathers.

They get their leather from a couple of sources and it is hot stuffed. The bulk of their leather is actually obtained from a very local source to his location.

Very sure they don't own their own tannery.

From what I've seen they use quite a lot of pigskin with a lot of plasticky finish on it. Very cheap.

I really don't get the fuzz about Saddleback. Mediocre at best in many cases.

The quality went down as they became more popular. Their early stuff was amazing. All the recent stuff I've seen from them looks rushed. It looks to me as though they either outsourced the production or just grew beyond the ability of their quality control to keep up.

On the plus side, the early bag my wife got from them inspired her to start working with leather and their drop in quality is creating opportunities for lots of other people.