Sign in to follow this  
DaveBromley

Looking For A Uk Leather Supplier

Hi Guys

I'm fresh into leather working and have acquired the relevant tools, I am struggling at the minute with leather suppliers.

Firstly i have looked at tandy and also Leprevo it seams that Leprevo is slightly cheaper but not much, I would be interested to know where the uk guys on here get their Veg tanned leather?

Also what are the best sizes for the work that i'm going to be doing (leather knife sheaths and possibles pouches and the like)

Sorry for the noob questions

thanks in advance

Dave

Hi there and welcome to the site. Do a search for uk suppliers as it gets asked quite a bit. LePrevo is who I have always used, Bowstock, Barkers, Tandy, Abbey saddlery (account needed though).

As for the sizes, it does depend on size of the sheaths and pouches you plan on doing so best bet is to get your tape measure out and figure out some sizes. Most leathers are sold by the sq/ft so keep that in mind.

Le Prevo are very good, but you may find that J T Batchelor in Islington are cheaper. If you are close to London, a visit to their shop/warehouse would be an eye-opener! (http://jtbatchelor.co.uk/) If you can't get to visit them, a phone call to Ted or Rocky will soon get you on the right track.

For sheaths and pouches, I would guess you'd need 3-3½mm russet veg-tan, and it would probably be best to start off with a shoulder (approx 12-14 square feet).

Best veggy tanned I've found is from here - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Shoulder-Tooling-Hide-Full-Grain-for-Crafts-/261041578652?pt=UK_Crafts_Leathercraft_LE&hash=item3cc74a629c - over the years the service has been consistant and have used it for saddles, carving and for whips (braiding etc). The other advantage is the different thicknesses avaliable, for sheaths I guess you'd be after the 3.5mm. There is better more costly leather out there and when this stuff doe'nt do what I need then I may buy it but for a beginner you can't go wrong.

Thanks for that Troy I've looked at that listing a few times & have been tempted but I am cautious of buying leather without seeing it first, you have given me the info I needed to decide.