Jimbob

Adler 267?

I had my mind set on a Adler 267, but now I am not sure how well they work and if they can do what I need...

Chap leather double or tripple, 2-3 oz veg tan doubled, some thinner bag leather three times folded....and the usuall wallet stuff, making backpacks and such.....been told it will not take more then 138 thread on top, but I guess that will do fine for me....

Are there any Adler 265 owners out there with info and also interested what other flatbed machine would be comparible to this Adler?

Hope to get a little input on this matter.

Thank you for reading this...

James

I have Adler 267-373 with Efka dc 1600. I have sewen 11 mm thick belt leather with thread Nm tkt 15 (tex 180) top and bottom on mine machine. This was to test it, normally I never use this machine with any thicker thread than 138, (for any heavier thread I use my 441). It is a upholstry class, large vertical hook, triple feed machine. It is a very fine machine, I am very happy with mine. This machine is sold new by Dürkopp Adler dealers, you can read about in their web page. Weavers sells it and have a demo video of it on their site.

Trox

I had my mind set on a Adler 267, but now I am not sure how well they work and if they can do what I need...

Chap leather double or tripple, 2-3 oz veg tan doubled, some thinner bag leather three times folded....and the usuall wallet stuff, making backpacks and such.....been told it will not take more then 138 thread on top, but I guess that will do fine for me....

Are there any Adler 265 owners out there with info and also interested what other flatbed machine would be comparible to this Adler?

Hope to get a little input on this matter.

Thank you for reading this...

James

I have Adler 267-373 with Efka dc 1600. I have sewen 11 mm thick belt leather with thread Nm tkt 15 (tex 180) top and bottom on mine machine. This was to test it, normally I never use this machine with any thicker thread than 138, (for any heavier thread I use my 441). It is a upholstry class, large vertical hook, triple feed machine. It is a very fine machine, I am very happy with mine. This machine is sold new by Dürkopp Adler dealers, you can read about in their web page. Weavers sells it and have a demo video of it on their site.

Trox

I had a 267-373 about 10 years ago for 4 or 5 years, bought it used, it had some issues but was a really good machine when I finally found a mechanic that got it right. It would sew an honest 7/16" of chap leather and 3/8inch of veg tan all day long. It worked good with 207 on top and 138 on the bottom. I really liked the machine but I had a lady working for me building chaps that kept complaining about it and I traded it for a different machine she wanted but the adler was better. Great machine, but feet, parts etc are very expensive. Hope this helps. ken

Thanks you all so much, fine to hear that it will take 207 ever now and then...my main thread staple is 138 top and bottom, so I would be fine me assuming!

Trox, I wont have a EFKA motor or such, I know there are great....but I have my trusty servo with rear reduction from Bob Kovar and that will have to do me...

Also good to hear it can do thicker leather....I will do bags, wallets and chaps on this one....my old Singer 211-155will be a back-up from now on! I need reverse, the Adler has that.

The singer 211-155 is a great machine, ( which the Singer 111 is according to others the better of the one ) just want to make sure that the Adler 267 can handle what the Singer 211-155 can do...

James

Hi James,

I do not know your reason for changing out your 211, but the Adler and the 211 is in the same class of machines. I do not think the Adler can do any more than the 211; it is a smoother running machine, thought.

If you need a more modern design machine, you should look for a DA (Dürkopp Adler) 467, 767. Did you not see the DA 767 machine I tipped you about?

Those above mention machines have a more modern design. Alternating (presser’s height over the material) stroke is adjustable with a wheel dial on the top, longer stitch length (10 -11 mm.) XXL vertical hook, heavier thread sizes too. Preferred machines for pro upholstery works in Europe. That 767 on EBay was very cheap, it is normally the most expensive used machine of its kind.

About spare part prices, DA parts are not more expensive than others in Europe, the Pfaff spare parts are the most expensive everywhere. Living in the US, maybe the Juki is a good choice of machine. However, spare parts will not be of any concern to you with the Adler, those machines are build for production, to run 8-hour non-stop every day. The parts who will wear out first with normal use is the shuttle, those parts can be bought aftermarket if you want too.

I know you have an Adler 105-64 in addition to the 211. Why not fixing up your 211, change the shuttle and have it serviced. Then buy your self a triple feed small cylinderarm machine, class Pfaff 335 or Adler 169, in a Chinese version. This way you will cover more sewing tasks. That machine can also be used with a small add on table to act as a flat bed. If your 211 is starting to act badly, a new shuttle hook will normally fix most of the issues.

Trox

Thanks you all so much, fine to hear that it will take 207 ever now and then...my main thread staple is 138 top and bottom, so I would be fine me assuming!

Trox, I wont have a EFKA motor or such, I know there are great....but I have my trusty servo with rear reduction from Bob Kovar and that will have to do me...

Also good to hear it can do thicker leather....I will do bags, wallets and chaps on this one....my old Singer 211-155will be a back-up from now on! I need reverse, the Adler has that.

The singer 211-155 is a great machine, ( which the Singer 111 is according to others the better of the one ) just want to make sure that the Adler 267 can handle what the Singer 211-155 can do...

James

Trox, ....I am married....hahahaa...I will let her know about our plans...see what she says....hahaha!!!!

Thanks anyway about the great information, seems you know your Adler stuff....I will keep the 211 as back-up....never a bad thing to have a back-up when you in the middle of a customer project and something goes wrong!!

So, I will keep dreaming about all these cool sewing machines and one day my wife will hopefully let me have one of them "fancy" ones!!

Greetings

James

Hi James,

I do not know your reason for changing out your 211, but the Adler and the 211 is in the same class of machines. I do not think the Adler can do any more than the 211; it is a smoother running machine, thought.

If you need a more modern design machine, you should look for a DA (Dürkopp Adler) 467, 767. Did you not see the DA 767 machine I tipped you about?

Those above mention machines have a more modern design. Alternating (presser's height over the material) stroke is adjustable with a wheel dial on the top, longer stitch length (10 -11 mm.) XXL vertical hook, heavier thread sizes too. Preferred machines for pro upholstery works in Europe. That 767 on EBay was very cheap, it is normally the most expensive used machine of its kind.

About spare part prices, DA parts are not more expensive than others in Europe, the Pfaff spare parts are the most expensive everywhere. Living in the US, maybe the Juki is a good choice of machine. However, spare parts will not be of any concern to you with the Adler, those machines are build for production, to run 8-hour non-stop every day. The parts who will wear out first with normal use is the shuttle, those parts can be bought aftermarket if you want too.

I know you have an Adler 105-64 in addition to the 211. Why not fixing up your 211, change the shuttle and have it serviced. Then buy your self a triple feed small cylinderarm machine, class Pfaff 335 or Adler 169, in a Chinese version. This way you will cover more sewing tasks. That machine can also be used with a small add on table to act as a flat bed. If your 211 is starting to act badly, a new shuttle hook will normally fix most of the issues.

Trox

Trox....

just read they take only up to 140 needles....that would be just barly enough for 138 thread....but people say 207 thread is possible.....did I read wrong??

Jmaes

I had a 267-373 about 10 years ago for 4 or 5 years, bought it used, it had some issues but was a really good machine when I finally found a mechanic that got it right. It would sew an honest 7/16" of chap leather and 3/8inch of veg tan all day long. It worked good with 207 on top and 138 on the bottom. I really liked the machine but I had a lady working for me building chaps that kept complaining about it and I traded it for a different machine she wanted but the adler was better. Great machine, but feet, parts etc are very expensive. Hope this helps. ken

[/quote

Ken

what size needle did you use......and what is max size needle the machine takes...me wonder/???

Thanks

James]

Hi James,

I had to go and have a look in the machines needle drawer. I have used mine with up to 180 needle.

This kind of machine (almost every kind sewing machine) works best when the distance between the needle and the shuttle is as small as possible without hitting each other. This distance changes with the needle size. When the gap (distance) is too big, the hook will miss the tread loop, causing a missed stitch. Too small, the needle will hit the hook.

When Dürkopp Adler writes about a 140 needle, this is the default needle the machine is adjusted with (and for). Production machines might use the same needle size all the time; we have to use several on ours. My machine works fine with needles from 100 to 160 (metric). It will also take size 90 and 180, but that is minimum and maximum. I can set this range of needle sizes higher or lower by adjusting the needle hook distance. However, there are other factors that limit's the needle size upwards, like the hole in the feed dog, needle plate and so on. Same the other way, a too thin needle will bend and cause skipped stitches, and so on. Bla bla bla… a lot of technical stuff.

It will do 207, but that is maximum, (without any modifying) this is an upholstery class machine. If you look for a machine for sewing 207 all the time, you must choose a heavier rating flatbed machine. Machines with vertical hook are Juki LG 158, Singer 144, Adler 767 (up to 346), 867 M type (up to 346) or 221. Shuttle hook machines: Juki TNU 243, TU 273, Adler 204-370 or similar Chinese clones.

Hope this helps.

Trox

Trox....

just read they take only up to 140 needles....that would be just barly enough for 138 thread....but people say 207 thread is possible.....did I read wrong??

Jmaes