drof99

How to intall line 24 snaps?

Can someone please give me an idea of how to install line 24 snaps? If possible pics would really help alot. Pics of before setting and pics after the install would also be a big help. I keep ruining snaps and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

hi drof99 try le prevo.co.uk look on how to/choose a press stud/then click HERE hope it helps hope is wot you wont walletman (bob)

Can someone please give me an idea of how to install line 24 snaps? If possible pics would really help alot. Pics of before setting and pics after the install would also be a big help. I keep ruining snaps and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

It would help us if you described how you are ruining the snaps when you try to set them. I mean, what is the end result of your attempt?

I can get them to go together but the part that I am supposed to smash or flare out doesn't look good. It is not uniform and I end up hitting it several times to flare it out. Even then I don't think that it "looks" good. I am guessing that it should look uniform, hopefully someone can post a pic of a completed 24 snap. I'm really looking to get a pic of the part you hit. Thanks for the help.

Try using the correct tool for the job..... I recommed this one.

press_n_snap.jpg

post-644-1207969504_thumb.jpg

make sure that you have a line 24 setter, and anvil, not just a peener. I have never had the problem you speak of, and that makes me think either you are going through too thin of leather, or not using the right tool. you dont need a fancy setter like the one justis shows, justmake sure it is for the right snap.

Also something to take a close look at. the posts on the tops and bottoms might not be the right length

that you are using for the thickness of leather .

I believe that I do have the correct setter. I bought one from Tandy for line 24 snaps. After the last post I think that the leater might be a little thick. I am using 8/9 oz leather with the line 24 snaps. If someone can post a pic the part you set for the snap that might help me. Thanks for all the help guys.

Drof,

Here's a couple things I've done wrong that "might" help. I punched hole too big so the rivet/tube expanded inside. Tube should fit quite tight (if using hand setting). Also, if I don't compress the top peice so the tube raises up inside, I just barely get the tube to curl out and it comes appart easily. I put some of the tandy black line 24's in yesterday and they just fit 8/9 oz (not much to spare, if any).

I'll try to send good (and bad pic) this afternoon.

Regis

While the post connecting the bottom 2 parts seems to be the 'right' length, it seems that the top cap post is always too long for its component part and tends to roll over to one side when being set, thus off-setting the snapping part from the cap part. The most expeditious thing is to trim the top cap post with a dremel cutoff wheel [the most logical thing would be for the manufacturers to make the lengths of the posts for the top cap proportional (therefore shorter in length) to the lengths of the bottom part posts- but, guess what: they've never done it & never will]

Ya, Regis if you can post a pic for me. That would help alot. If you can try and get a closeup of the part that you hit on both sides to flare out to hold on the snap. thanks

droff,

Here's a pict of the black line 24 snaps from Tandy in 8/9 oz. I think this it the min curl I'd have on the tube/rivet.

snap_1.jpg

snap_2.jpg

post-463-1208120733_thumb.jpg

post-463-1208120743_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pic. That is exactly what I was looking for. If you have time Regis could you post a pic of the tools you used to install those snaps? That would also be a big help.

droff,

Just regular $19 kit/set from Tandy for line 20 & 24. #8105-00

I do need to order better/stronger snaps than the ones from TLF.

Thanks for all the help. That is the same kit I bought Regis. Thanks for putting the pic up for me, it helps alot. I think I just need a little more practice to make them look like your snaps.

Justis, interesting tool, I've been looking for it on the internet since I read this topic, can you give me the name, and where to purchase it? thanks, Daniel.

Try using the correct tool for the job..... I recommed this one.

One thing I have found using these tools and L-24 snaps is that they don't like the force being applied in anything other than a 90 degree angle to the snap base. That means you must hold the tool straight up and down with the base properly aligned in the anvil. When you strike your mallet on the setter, you must make certain that the mallet head is not angled at impact or it will tend to force the setter off of that 90 degree angle and you will get a screwed up snap.

A snap setting press is very nice because it always applies its force at exactly 90 degrees to the snap base. So all you need to do is start acting like a snap press.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Justis, interesting tool, I've been looking for it on the internet since I read this topic, can you give me the name, and where to purchase it? thanks, Daniel.

I'm not Jack, but take a look here: Hoover Press-N-Snap. It says the tool is made in the USA, too. :thumbsup:McMaster-Carr has one like it. Check here too: Perfect Fit.

I do not have the tool; I've just come across it by searching for higher-quality snap fasteners.

L'Bum

Edited by Leather Bum