Sign in to follow this  
Stacy

Question on a small repair

I had the good fortune to benefit from anothers unfortunate situation of liquidating their horses & associated assets this past weekend. I purchase a hand made Ricotti ranch saddle. It has incredibly beautiful tooling of acorns and oaks leaves and is in almost new condition - estimated to be about 10 years old by its previous owner. A section of the wool at the front of the underside of the saddle has pulled away from the tree. There is a nail which previously must have closely attached the leather with wool fleece on it to the tree, just under the cantle. I tried to hammer it back in place, but it just pops back out. Should I remove the nail and hammer it in a different location just a fraction over from the current location? or is it possible that the leather backing of the wool has dried and something else needs to be done to fix it. Ricotti has a shop about 2 hours from me, but this seems like a simple repair I can do on my own. When I called the shop, they weren't too interested in helping me without bringing it in for the shop to repair it. Suggestions?

Thank you -

Stacy

Stacy,

Much as these look like simple repairs, I would take it to a shop. It may not be worth the two hour trip to Clements for you, but as you said, your saddle has some more than average value for its age. I am not trying to sound condescending but this, but a messy repair could sure take some value off it. A nail missing the cantle and through the seat or a problem sewing back the wool could decrease the value. If you want to do this yourself, I would find someone experienced more locally to help you with it. If nothing else, at 10 years it might be time for a deeper inspection and deep cleaning and conditioning anyway.

Stacy,

Much as these look like simple repairs, I would take it to a shop. It may not be worth the two hour trip to Clements for you, but as you said, your saddle has some more than average value for its age. I am not trying to sound condescending but this, but a messy repair could sure take some value off it. A nail missing the cantle and through the seat or a problem sewing back the wool could decrease the value. If you want to do this yourself, I would find someone experienced more locally to help you with it. If nothing else, at 10 years it might be time for a deeper inspection and deep cleaning and conditioning anyway.

Thank you for the advice. I do have some experieince with saddles/leather. I worked as a saddle fitter with a custom saddle shop that made dressage/jump saddles. I know how to drop the panels, reflock the saddles, adjust the tree width to measurements and stitch the saddle back together. I also know how to do small repairs on the saddles, added D rings, replaced billets, and small repairs to strap goods.

This saddle was not used much, and was kept in a temperature controlled room. The leather is still pliable, and soft - practically new. I will be doing a deep conditioning on it this weekend.

I guess what I really wanted to know is should I take all the wool off, condition the leather backing and replace it - or just move this nail a bit over. I am assuming the nail is not staying in place due to the leather in that spot stiffening in a position it has been in for a while and the nail hole has lost the tightness and is slighlty too big for the nail.

Or maybe I should drive on down to Clements....

Stacy

You could try a larger diameter nail of the same length. If it's the one that attaches high up into the gullet I like to use brass screws. I've had saddles come in whereby a nail or two is loose that has it missed it's mark.(human error) I just move them over a little and drive them in again.