DJ1935

PFAFF Question

Happy New year to all. Whilst on the subject of Pfaffs. We purchased a 335, grey, cylinder arm model dating from the '60's or '70's. It sews great, goes like a scalded cat and is a brilliant machine. BUT the bobbin only holds enough thread to sew about six feet, if you are lucky! One belt and that's about it. This is extremely frustrating to say the least. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a modification for these machines? It must have been a real headache in the factory situation, they would have been continually loading and putting in new bobbins.

Cheers

DJ

A couple of things you can do.

1. Get hold of a heap of bobbins and when you wind bobbins, do lots in one hit.

2. If you have at least 2. Get another spool of thread and set it up so that the bobbin is winding as you stitch. When you run out on the machine, swap them over so again as you are stitching you are always winding a new bobbin at the same time.

Barra.

what size thread are you using on your bobbin? If you are using a large thread size it will not hold that much.Try using a smaller thread size.

Hi DJ,

I've used the newer model of that machine with #92 poly thread and it would sew for at least 100 feet or more before running out of bobbin. Sewing only 6 feet means you aren't getting more than 12 feet on the bobbin. That just ain't right. Any chance you have the wrong bobbin and case in there? You're not sewing with 1/8 inch nylon rope are you? I sew #46 and/or #69 and occasionally #92 on my Pfaff 142 and I get plenty of thread on my bobbins and it is from the same era as yours. I don't think any manufacturer would stand for changing bobbins every 6 feet or even 50 feet, it would drive everyone nuts.

Art

Happy New year to all. Whilst on the subject of Pfaffs. We purchased a 335, grey, cylinder arm model dating from the '60's or '70's. It sews great, goes like a scalded cat and is a brilliant machine. BUT the bobbin only holds enough thread to sew about six feet, if you are lucky! One belt and that's about it. This is extremely frustrating to say the least. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a modification for these machines? It must have been a real headache in the factory situation, they would have been continually loading and putting in new bobbins.

Cheers

DJ

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am using Coates Terko #20 thread. The machine came with six bobbins (I can see why!) and everything seems to fit ok. An Upholsterer in town has a new Seiko which has the same size bobbins and he has the same problem, in fact he is so good at changing them he can almost do it without stopping. I find it unbelievable that the makers have developed these machines as "industrial" modern sewers but havent upsized the bobbin capacity. The good old Pearson will sew half a dozen belts and still be looking round for more. With the knowledge we have today why cant the bottom be fed straight from a spool like the top feed?

Cheers

DJ

Hi DJ,

If you are doing a lockstitch, the bobbin would have to be enormous as it has to run the thread around the more or less stationary bobbin thread. I have seen machines that feed thread like you suggest, but they weren't doing a lockstitch.

Art

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am using Coates Terko #20 thread. The machine came with six bobbins (I can see why!) and everything seems to fit ok. An Upholsterer in town has a new Seiko which has the same size bobbins and he has the same problem, in fact he is so good at changing them he can almost do it without stopping. I find it unbelievable that the makers have developed these machines as "industrial" modern sewers but havent upsized the bobbin capacity. The good old Pearson will sew half a dozen belts and still be looking round for more. With the knowledge we have today why cant the bottom be fed straight from a spool like the top feed?

Cheers

DJ

It has often been said that the person who can invent that capability will be richer than Bill Gates.

Barra

Bill Gates aye? I'm off to the shed ............... I may be some time!

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

Thank you for explaining about that guys.

DJ