I would like to make a belt for carrying a concealed weapon. I have read several debates about single layer or 2 layers of leather. I plan on using 2 layers but my question is, has anyone tried making the second layer only where the weapon will be riding?

I was thinking of skiving a peace of leather that would go from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock and carry the weapon at 3-4 o'clock.

Any ideas if this would work properly?

I would like to make a belt for carrying a concealed weapon. I have read several debates about single layer or 2 layers of leather. I plan on using 2 layers but my question is, has anyone tried making the second layer only where the weapon will be riding?

I was thinking of skiving a peace of leather that would go from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock and carry the weapon at 3-4 o'clock.

Any ideas if this would work properly?

Are you talking about, essentially, having the belt loops for the holster looped between the layers of the belt? That would certainly conceal the loops, but I think it would defeat the purpose of having a stiff, double-layer belt. If you are talking about putting a third layer from 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock then it might work, but I suspect it would still be subject to sagging and would add bulk. I'm certainly no expert on the matter, though, so I could very well be wrong about all of this

Sorry for not being very clear, let's see if this helps.

1 thickness layer all the way around the waist with a second layer added at the location of the holster (extending past the holster a few inches). NoahL you may be correct with it still sagging but I wear jeans with the belt loops rather close together and sagging hasn't been an issue with a single layer belt. What I'm trying to prevent is the holster top rolling outward. With a single layer belt I find myself cranking my belt tight to hold the top of the gun in close to me. When I have worn a double layer belt I wear it a lot looser and the top of the gun stays in close. I'm in need of a new belt and was just thinking of different ideas of making a belt stiff without having the bulk and stiffness all the way around me, just at the holster location.

I make my single-layer belts of 9-10 oz. Hermann Oak sides. Standard width is 1.5" around the body tapered to 1" at the front for better comfort and to be less conspicuous. These work very well for light to medium handguns.

For heavier applications I line the body area with 4-5 oz. leather, which provides very good support for most applications.

For the heaviest applications I offer the same belt with the body area lined with 7-8 oz. leather. This will carry the heaviest handguns easily.

Many years ago as a cop I found that a new single-layer Sam Browne duty belt would last about a year or so in daily use, while a two-layer Sam Browne would give 3 to 5 years of good service. Cops carry much more gear on the belt than most folks do.

I make my single-layer belts of 9-10 oz. Hermann Oak sides. Standard width is 1.5" around the body tapered to 1" at the front for better comfort and to be less conspicuous. These work very well for light to medium handguns.

For heavier applications I line the body area with 4-5 oz. leather, which provides very good support for most applications.

For the heaviest applications I offer the same belt with the body area lined with 7-8 oz. leather. This will carry the heaviest handguns easily.

Many years ago as a cop I found that a new single-layer Sam Browne duty belt would last about a year or so in daily use, while a two-layer Sam Browne would give 3 to 5 years of good service. Cops carry much more gear on the belt than most folks do.

Lobo,

What do you mean Body area? Body area as in your body or the holster body?

I hate if this sounds stupid but I'm just trying to figure it out.

I have seen advertised those kinds of belts with a reinforced layered section on the strong side alone. Probably ABS or webbing The rest of the belt is normal. It's just a thin double layered and stitched belt used as a "dress belt" to carry. They are only 1.25". I have not seen a 1" type. Personally, I wouldn't think they would work all that well, because the strong side might be good but the rest of the belt would give easy, but I've never tried one, so I can't be sure.

I like a double layer belt because the belt does'nt stretch. A double layer at the holster area will help avoid "roll over",but allows the single layer to give more. Also. if you decide to add a mag pouch on the opposite side, you're ready to carry.

I think you would be better off to make a belt that is doubled and stitched all the way around, or a real thick single layer belt. I don't get the point of only doubling the part that the holster sits on..... Jeff