I got tired of having to line up letters on belt so I made this jig from some plywood and aluminum from home depot and slotted the one piece to adjust for center of belt. letters are perfect everytime. I going to put another piece of aluminum on other side and slot that to. I hope someone will be able to benefit from this I know it helped me a lot. On this belt I made letters closer to the bottom, that's why the letters look like they are off.

post-38874-0-89833300-1417120833_thumb.j

post-38874-0-36545200-1417120849_thumb.j

post-38874-0-50509700-1417120864_thumb.j

Edited by mike6642

Hello Mike,

This is a very nice addition to the shop and sure you enjoy.

The centering and straight line thing has been a problem for me as well. I made a jig of plastic but it is excessively flexible and my hands are no longer able to keep it steady. Clamping is a good way to go. What did you use to cut the very clean slots into the end of the aluminum strip? Perhaps I can rig up something similar, or at least hope to do so, now that I have seen your method.

Hope Thanksgiving was pleasant for you and yours.

God Bless.

Ray

ray, thanks for the reply , wait till you see the new one I am making, almost the same but the outer edge will be 1/2 angle aluminum, I drilled the holes and put them in a small table jig saw and finished cutting the slots.

If you don't mind, I think I'm going to be trying this idea. It's an elegantly simple solution. One thing that I've found, though, is that not all letters are evenly spaced from the edge of the stamp...does this jig address that?

The jig is very accurate , there is 1/16 inch play and and i forgot to hold belt against edge to take out the play. I am going to add another adjustment plate on other side to take the play out. I put about 5 letters on and press one at a time. You will be thrilled with the results. Easy to make and. Very compact im makind a new one with a lip on the edge to hold the leather , ill post a few pictures