Sign in to follow this  
TomBanwell

Sword scabbard

I have a reproduction Viking sword from Albion with a 31" blade that I'd like to build a scabbard for. What is the normal construction technique used? Is a rigid sheet material covered with leather, or is it made entirely out of leather? The sword weighs 2½ lbs, so I wouldn't want the scabbard to be too flimsy. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Hey Tom, I am just kicking it around a little here so bear with me... I have always found that many antique and current swords and bayonet scabbards are not of leather. I think this might have to do with moisture problems associated with leather. Most of my military bayonets have scabbards made of metal, or composite materials. Even my USMC NCO sword scabbard looks to only be leather wrapped. Samurai swords used wood scabbards (covered). I know your weapon had a leather scabbard and my guess it was probably molded in someway for rigidity and looks... Good luck in your quest!

Here is a site on the net- http://www.jelldragon.com/scabbards.htm

Banwell,

I recently made replacement scabbards for an infantry (Victorian) and a cavalry (1830s) sword.

The basis material was wood, covered in leather.

Making the wood parts was a swine - they were hard to do as I don't have many woodworking tools and they took one heck of a time to make. It took me about three attempts at each to get it right. The sabre was the worst as it had a difficult curve and I had no original to copy. The straight infantry sword was easier as I copied the original (eventually).

It took me a while to find the appropriate sort of wood. It needs to be light but strong as it is quite thin in parts. I ended-up using a long-grain hardwood and spent a long time with sanders.

I have seen scabbards made entirely of leather but most bend and snap too easily.

Just my tuppence-worth.

Gary

Most historians claim that viking sword scabbards were made from linden (lime) wood covered with thin leather, (but most historians claim cuir bullion was made by boiling leather in oil, I tried it and have had serious doubts anything historians say since then.). While there have been a few finds with this construction they have been from the graves of Kings/Cheiftans. Although there is no evidence for scabbards made entirely from leather in the vike period, logic suggests they were made. I've tried making a leather covered plywood scabbard but it was a pain and looked crap. Here's one I made from 7-8oz veg tan with neutral shoe polish as a finish for a 38" sword weighing 4 lbs. So far it's survived 16 years of everything the British summer can throw at it (rain, hail, snow and the occasional scorching hot day.) and the occasional blow from swords, axes, billhooks and flails. At 2 1/2lbs I'd worry more about the sword being too fimsy rather than the scabbardred_bandana.gif.

scabbard1.jpg

scabbard2.jpg

post-5295-1208200157_thumb.jpg

post-5295-1208200186_thumb.jpg

I have a reproduction Viking sword from Albion with a 31" blade that I'd like to build a scabbard for. What is the normal construction technique used? Is a rigid sheet material covered with leather, or is it made entirely out of leather? The sword weighs 2½ lbs, so I wouldn't want the scabbard to be too flimsy. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Many of the swords were leather covered wood, but many were not. I know three primary techniques to make a good sword. (I am sure there others)

1. make a wooden scabard and cover it with leather. since structural integrity isn't a concern for a wooden scabard use rather thin leather for ease of sewing.

2. Make it like a modern knife sheath (Back, front and gusset) with minimu 6-8 ounce leather. Yes it will bend if it doesn't have a sword in it. But with the sword in the sheath it is plenty tough. By adding an extra "throat" piece for attaching your belt/baldric you strengthen it even more.

3. Backstitch a sheath. Similiar to the commercial site you were directed to but you can finish it off and the backstitching serves to stiffen the sheath. done right most people will assume this is has a wooden core. ( I don't recommend it if your sword has a sharp edge on it.)

Great, thanks to everyone who's responded (although I think Ferret is calling my sword "wimpy" for only weighing 2½ lbs)! I think I will build a wooden core and cover it. I'll post a picture when it's done. I'm planning on doing some decorative celtic knots on it.