swivelsphinx

Carving Celtic Style Designs with a Swivel Knife

Hi Everyone!

I've got a belt to get through with a Celtic hound/wolf/moon motif. I have carved a few triquetras , and most of them came out nicely . The seahorse was tough at the time. What I am looking for is advice on how to handle my swivel knife, and what order to tackle the lines. I do have the "standard" blade, an angled blade and several others. If anyone has links to directions and tips related to other Celtic style designs, I'd be glad to take a look!

I have posted a few samples of what I have carved in the way of Celtic styled pieces in the past, and a rough mock up of the designs I want to do now.

- Thanks,

swivelsphinx

Edited by swivelsphinx

Hi Everyone!

I've got a belt to get through with a Celtic hound/wolf/moon motif. I have carved a few triquetras , and most of them came out nicely . The seahorse was tough at the time. What I am looking for is advice on how to handle my swivel knife, and what order to tackle the lines. I do have the "standard" blade, an angled blade and several others. If anyone has links to directions and tips related to other Celtic style designs, I'd be glad to take a look!

I have posted a few samples of what I have carved in the way of Celtic styled pieces in the past, and a rough mock up of the designs I want to do now.

- Thanks,

swivelsphinx

For some reason I can't see the photos. I have the standard "cheapo" Tandy knife and so far it suits me well. I use it for all my line work. On some finer lines though I will use an X-Acto knife to get into some tiny details that the big blade would cut out. I generally try to do larger, broader lines as I think the knotwork stands out better this way.

Cheers,

Andy

Swivel S

I don't know what kind of swivel knife and/or blade your using right now. I spent the money and bought a Henley knife. I really like the Henley knives and blades. I have started doing some figure carving and the best blade for that is the angle blade. Henley's blade is thin ... thin. it measures out at .040. I bought 2 blades, the one at .040 and a custom blade that measures .055.

Luis Henley is a wonderful man to work with. give him a call 318.631.3545. If your doing a lot of Celtic patterns a good angle blade will pay for it self.

Good luck, Happy tooling

Tim

Dsc00002.jpgdogwolfcombo3.GIFI'm going to attempt to re-post those photos here. Please let me know if they are visible.

Thanks for letting me know that they didn't post correctly!triquetrabag.jpg

Swivelsphinx

post-6993-126386989355_thumb.gif

post-6993-126386997716_thumb.jpg

post-6993-126387008397_thumb.jpg

Thanks for letting me know you couldn't see the photos. I re-posted them further down in the post. I haven't been on this site for awhile, so I'm still getting used to the new posting format!

I don't mind the Craftool econo-knives. I am just not very good at maintaining a bevel when using a stone. However, of the knives I've attempted to sharpen myself, my angled C.Tool came out the best because the steel seems fairly soft.

The Swivelsphinx

[Hi Tim!

Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at the knife brand you recommended! I'm mostly using the standard Craftool knives right now.

The Swivelsphinx