Sign in to follow this  
camano ridge

What Is The Best Leather For Making Headstalls?

Like the title says what is the best leather for making headstalls, veg tan, latigo, bridle leather etc. ? Why? I am going to want it to be black wiht a good gloss.

I choose bridle leather.

Although you could also use veg tan, or even latago. Although you would have to buy it already black if you use latago or bridle.

Veg tan you can dye it yourself.

Joel

Thanks Granpa joel, I was leaning toward Bridle, if I can find some place that sells Bridle strips/straps I don't want to haveto buy a large quanity to do one headstall. if I can't find what I am looking for i will go with the Veg and dye.

if your making using or work headstalls I use harness if its a show headstall I use veg tan then back it with harness . I use 8 to 10 oz for most of mine , just make sure you skive it down far enough to thru the buckle

Thanks, Carver.

as an up an coming tack maker, I use 5-6 oz vegtan, backed with 6-7 oz latigo. the vegtan can be dyed to the color you want, but just remember to seal it, otherwise you will have angry customers when their horse comes out a different color.