JLSleather

Floral carving, or computer section?

I'm lazy. This color scheme goes from "photocarve" to tracing pattern with about 6 "clicks"....

I'm lazy. This color scheme goes from "photocarve" to tracing pattern with about 6 "clicks"....

Cool - what are the steps, and the program you used? I'm getting ready to do some floral from a photo, so this would be a good tool!

In Photoshop, I clicked ...

Image/Mode/Grayscale

Filter/Sytlize/Find Edges

There's the 6, though I didn't count a couple of times ya gotta say "OK"...

Running to appointment ... but I can show you later if you like. Or, if you have a photo you want done, just post it and I'll do this when I get back :)

This even works with mice and chickens, as you see...

I would like to learn something new in Photoshop if you want to show how to do it.

Like this, or something else?

What you have done is fine. Unless i misunderstood it what you wrote. If i did no problem.

This is not floral carving, but leather related. I am doing using other patterns for my business card backgrounds. I would like to take a briefcase picture that I made last year and use it as a background on my new business cards since I am out. I want to do something Dave Theobolt (member on her) but I would like to lighten or make the photograph a little transparent or faded? If that make sense? This way the contact information will stand out?

Can you help with 6 clicks or less? Just kidding, just how to would be great. I tried and got tired of messing with it.

Appreciate you!

Sorry, just saw this post. Send me a pm or email with what you have, and I'll see what I can do. Let me know the size you're wanting. Work doesn't come with a guarantee, but the price does (it's free). :)

I can see some some fantastic applications for this technique, but there are some limitations, a stylised carved rose works because people see the pattern, and the mind accepts it as a representation of a rose, but life isn't like that, most flowers are asymmetrical, the eye might have a problem picking out what it is looking at, think of those drawings where you have a sketch of a beautiful young girl, which when you look deeper you have a picture of an old crone. It should work ok with animals and landscapes, and as an aid to composition, and scale.

cheers

Mike

I think it's mostly just a quick way to get from a photo to a line drawing, and not the end all of pattern making. It's a neat trick and I've done it every now and then, but usually I just use a light table and trace it.

Yep, each his own. I prefer the computer myself ... no light table to store or maintain, patterns take up no space at all (and are always in order), and if it ever gets worn out I just print another one.