Sign in to follow this  
howardb

First holster - reposting final result

A LOT of folks helped me with suggestions on this in the Critique thread. I appreciated and learned from every one. So why finish the thing? Well, it wasn't looking too awful bad as I fixed things and tried suggestions. Put on some saddle tan stain. Hey, it's looking decent! Maybe I should oil it...

Then disaster struck. Oh I wasn't smart enough to just rub a lil' on the surface. NOOOO, I had to darn near soak it. Inside and out. I watched the oil bloom and wanted to hurl.

So it went from a "oh it's not too bad / beginner piece" to an exercize in "what not to do with leather". Anyway, here's a few pics of the resulting holster.

IMG_2929a.jpg

IMG_2923a.jpg

IMG_2915a.jpg

Brent

post-5266-1200023728_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1200023734_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1200023743_thumb.jpg

Now take it and set it where the sun can hit it all the time..... will help it "dry" out a bit and I will be willing to bet that after a month or so of constant direct light, it will looks and feel great.... doenst look bad right now... just soaked with oil... give it time to "dry" out....

GET BUSY ON THE BELT, SEW ABOUT 24 CARTRIDGE

LOOPS ON AND YOU WILL BE THERE.

LOOKS GOOD, LOOKS LIKE YOU JUST RODE IN FROM THE RANGE]

:cowboy:

GET BUSY ON THE BELT, SEW ABOUT 24 CARTRIDGELOOPS ON AND YOU WILL BE THERE.LOOKS GOOD, LOOKS LIKE YOU JUST RODE IN FROM THE RANGE] :cowboy:

Oh no, now I gotta make a belt?? :lol: I want to re-make it, line it, do it up proper with a belt, and hopefully enter it in next fall's IFOLG show. Cartridge loops... Hmmm. .22 LR is a mighty small loop. I better do one for my big N frame S&W. .45's would probably look better in the loops.

Now take it and set it where the sun can hit it all the time..... will help it "dry" out a bit and I will be willing to bet that after a month or so of constant direct light, it will looks and feel great.... doenst look bad right now... just soaked with oil... give it time to "dry" out....

Thanks, I will try that. Will the color fade/lighten again or is it forever dark?Brent

Edited by howardb

the .22 comment answered the question I was gonna ask. must be a ruger bearcat in it. original one? the one I have had a holster and a belt with cartridge loops in it. the belt's long gone now. anyway, I think it looks fine. nice and weathered and broken in. only thing I would've done differently is either stitch all the way across the bottom or left a larger opening. now then, get to work on the belt! :P

Howard, as Wolvie says, put it in the sun to dry, I think once it's dried out it will be a very nice looking holster.

Ken

The sun tends to darken leather.... but seeing as it is "soaked" in oil... watch it... I THINK what it will do is start to lighten as the oil dries up some then the sun will start to darken it.... keep an eye on it and get it out of the sun when it reached a color you are happy with.... Then again... it might darken first from the sun on the leather then lighten from the oil drying... Not sure... but either way, it looks good right now as it is...

the .22 comment answered the question I was gonna ask. must be a ruger bearcat in it. original one? the one I have had a holster and a belt with cartridge loops in it. the belt's long gone now. anyway, I think it looks fine. nice and weathered and broken in. only thing I would've done differently is either stitch all the way across the bottom or left a larger opening. now then, get to work on the belt! :P

Drac, It's a Ruger single six. Dual cylinders, one for .22LR, and one for .22Mag. I think the Bearcat's much smaller and lighter than the single six. They sure are the same shape!

Brent

Thanks for the comments guys. I will hang it out in the sunroom and let the heat and sun at it for a while.

I promise, my next one will be better! (and include a belt :-) )

Brent

Nothing wrong with that one howard. The edges look really great. Post some more pices when you take it ot of the sun. I'd be curious to see how it changes.

what am i missing here? I think it looks killer.

KK