joeyrsmith

Why Is There So Many Boss's For Sale?

Only place I knew where to post.

So as far as machines go. Read alot, Researched alot. Wanted alot of different ones that I can not afford.

Posted alot of questions on my Singer211g which ya'all helped me with.

Why is there so many of these for sale? looks capable looks tough looks like good support.

Something inherently wrong with these or what?

Joe

The price of powered machines is not much higher than these "hand crank" models. From this to the 441's with attachments is what ... like $800?

Speaking for myself, if you are mechanically inclined, and are willing to "tinker" to get it working just the way you like, they are not a bad machine. After a while you will find yourself wanting to upgrade to a more sophisticated machine, thus why so many are available. Personally I have one I have had for many years and while I use my CB4500 for just about everything, I find that I still use my Boss to stitch in fleece when I am re-fleecing an old saddle, because I can go stitch by stitch and get everyone in the previous hole, which gives me a more professional job. If I knew I would never re-fleece another saddle I would sell mine too.

Bob

Search for posts in this section of LWN about problems with the Boss machines. They are legion.

The Boss can be a temperamental gal from time to time. Mostly always a tension issue from operator error :bike: Keep her well lubed and talk dirty to her once in awhile and she'll treat you right.

Hello:

I used to be the second largest dealer of Boss machines in the country and I can tell you that the people we sold them to either loved them or hated them.

The Boss is temperamental when it comes to thread tensions. The Boss used to be the machine of choice for people sewing heavy leather on a budget because there were no other machines out there that could do what they did for anywhere near the same money.

Now, however there are low cost heavy duty motorized machines that will do more and sew heavier for just a bit more money and in a few cases some machines are actually the same price as the Boss.

The Cowboy CB-3200 is sold new now for $1595.00 and it will sew almost as heavy and has a much longer throat.

The Boss was a great machine in its day because there was nothing else anywhere close in price that would sew as heavy.

But if you can buy 250 pounds of cast iron sewing machine with a stand, table, motor and a speed reducer for $1595.00 you would have to really think about the benefits when compared to 23 pounds of hand operated stitcher with no stand and table and an aluminum casting.

One area where the Boss still excels over other machines is repair work. Because you can control the stitch very well, repairs on this machine are very easy to do as you can get the machine to match the holes--hole for hole.

Hope this helps.

Edited by neelsaddlery

Thx for the reply guys.

In no way was I implying it to be inferior or not up to the job.

Just curious about why I saw alot of them.