MADMAX22

Stitching horse (where to purchase)

Hey guys/gals Ive been looking around for a preassembled or mostly there of stitching horse. Ive only found one the one on ebay, seems ok but at a pretty hefty price. Not sure if thats a fair price or not (could be I dont know).

Does anyone know of anyone else that makes or sells them.

Yes Ive found plans and such for them however I must admit I am not that great at working with wood and am sure if I made it I would be rocking back and forth as I sewed stuff up.

Thanks for any input.

weaver leather has one that looks pretty good for around $160 excluding shipping.

Thanks Ill check it out.

I've got the one from Weaver. It works just fine, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Hey guys/gals Ive been looking around for a preassembled or mostly there of stitching horse. Ive only found one the one on ebay, seems ok but at a pretty hefty price. Not sure if thats a fair price or not (could be I dont know).

Does anyone know of anyone else that makes or sells them.

Yes Ive found plans and such for them however I must admit I am not that great at working with wood and am sure if I made it I would be rocking back and forth as I sewed stuff up.

Thanks for any input.

There's one offered right now on ebay.

russ

Check this link for Dale Grabowski's Sit-n-Stitch www.grandpas-pastime.com/stitch.htm Cost seems reasonable.

Or check out the WildRose Trading Company plans for a Stitching Pony at this link: http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_stitchpony.html I made one of these over a weekend. The only reason it took that long is because I put a coat of varnish on it. If no varnish, done in a morning. Tools needed are minimal as are the skill needed to construct. Need a handsaw, miter box, hand drill, screwdriver, drill bits of couple sizes, plus the items in the material list. Cost me about $20 total.

Thanks for all the input guys. Very much appreciated. It looks like since I spent too much money at tandy that Ill maybe have to try building one and just live with any of my wood working downfalls.

My .02....I have Dale's and it's fantastic. It sees a lot of use. The only "worn" part is that the leather covering on the tops is starting to come unglued, but that's simple to fix when I feel like it.

I've got a bench-mount stitching clamp that isn't as expensive as a stitching horse. You can take a look at where I posted it for sale in the Marketplace here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6380.

Kate

You know that is really cool. Would be able to get much larger stuff in there and stitch longer without repositioning. I would probably take it if I wasnt still in my darn apartment. I pretty much do all my work on what should be the kitchen table. Got a little while before well be done with the girlfriends house where Ill get to setup atleast a little workarea devoted to the leather craft.

Thanks

Thanks for all the input guys. Very much appreciated. It looks like since I spent too much money at tandy that Ill maybe have to try building one and just live with any of my wood working downfalls.

Where are you at in Washington? I am in Portland, are you near? I can easily make one of these, have been thinking of doing one for some time. If you want to come over it would not take much more time to make a pair of them. I have lots of oak to make it out of too.

Aaron

Where are you at in Washington? I am in Portland, are you near? I can easily make one of these, have been thinking of doing one for some time. If you want to come over it would not take much more time to make a pair of them. I have lots of oak to make it out of too.

Aaron

Im way up in Bremerton, not to far but still a clip away. I think with the gas mileage my truck gets it would be cheaper to cover the shipping cost.

If you feel like making a extra one I would be more then happy to cover shipping and some extra for your efforts materials.

You know that is really cool. Would be able to get much larger stuff in there and stitch longer without repositioning. I would probably take it if I wasnt still in my darn apartment. I pretty much do all my work on what should be the kitchen table. Got a little while before well be done with the girlfriends house where Ill get to setup atleast a little workarea devoted to the leather craft.

Whether it works out for your situation or not, no worries either way... just thought I'd throw it out there. :whistle:

Kate

Whether it works out for your situation or not, no worries either way... just thought I'd throw it out there. whistle.gif

Kate

I will be making a dozen or so funiture grade lacing horses in my shop. Pics to follow........ You would be able to put these in your living room. ;)

Very cool, keep us updated.

Hi Max,

It looks like I'm getting in kinda late,,, but here's a picture of something I made,,, that I'm sure you could make yourself!,,, Take Care,,, Ed

Stitching Clamp.jpg

Stitching Clamp 2.jpg

post-7175-126801829393_thumb.jpg

post-7175-126801833588_thumb.jpg

Max,

Call Vandy at Sheridon Leather Outfitters. They had the nicest saddlers stitching horse I have seen on display at Wickenburg. The clamps were full depth and the whole thing was taller than the ones I've seen before which would be a lot nicer to sit on!! Also, Bob Douglas sellsa really nice pony clamp (mounts to a table or bench).

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Thanks Ed thats a cool idea.

Thanks for the references also Hidepounder. Ill have to look into that.

Ive kind of put my leatherworking on hold for a bit (hence why I havnt been on lately) along with most other things as well. Im working on trying to buy a house right now and been saving the pennies to make sure everything is paid off and looks as squared away as possible before the final approvals. It will be worth it though as I should have a garage to setup shop in once it goes thru which will be a dream come true. Been living in darn apartments for too many years now.