Pablo27

Which Knife Is Best To Use

Just trying to get some feedback on which knives you like to use on various leathers, 7oz veg, tooling sides, upholstery, oil tanned, etc and why, also any other tips on cutting would also be appreciated.

I use a round or head knife on 99% of every thing i cut. Some use sheetrock knives with replaceable blades. But IMO if you learn to use a round or head knife your money ahead.

I use the head/round knife the most on 6oz. and up veg. I use a curved clicker knife on most chrome tan. Search on head knife and clicker knife on this forum for many posts on this. For skiving, I use skiving knives made by Terry Knipshield, Bob Beard, Bill Buchman, and shoe knives that I profile and sharpen myself.

Art

Just trying to get some feedback on which knives you like to use on various leathers, 7oz veg, tooling sides, upholstery, oil tanned, etc and why, also any other tips on cutting would also be appreciated.

I use the head/round knife the most on 6oz. and up veg. I use a curved clicker knife on most chrome tan. Search on head knife and clicker knife on this forum for many posts on this. For skiving, I use skiving knives made by Terry Knipshield, Bob Beard, Bill Buchman, and shoe knives that I profile and sharpen myself.

Art

Thanks for all the great feedback. I have purchased a couple of round knifes on Ebay, in fact just bought a new CS Osborne and returned the Tandy Damscus unopened thanks to advice I found on here. I sure do appreciate all the help.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I have purchased a couple of round knifes on Ebay, in fact just bought a new CS Osborne and returned the Tandy Damscus unopened thanks to advice I found on here. I sure do appreciate all the help.

I bought one of the Tandy Damascus knives about a year ago. What kind of advice did you get as why not to buy it? My handle is a little bit loose, but I spent so much time putting a razor sharp edge on it that I decided to live with it. It's hardly noticeable anyway. It's pretty much the only knife I use. I got it on sale, so I'm pretty happy with what I paid for it. I get wholesale prices on everything from them too.

There was a thread on round knives that I was looking at last week. There was a couple of custom round knife makers that were recommended but I can't remember which ones now. I'll see if I can find it.

I went back and looked and it was actually the pinned thread at the top of this forum. Bruce Johnson seemed to be a popular name for a maker. I didn't see a link for him, but you'll probably see it if you read that thread.

Edited by Bobby hdflame