esantoro

1/2 ton arbor press for pressing logo stamps

I love finding ways to use tools I already have on hand.

What do you all think about using a 1/2 ton arbor press for impressing 2"wide logos?

http://www.amazon.com/1-2-Ton-Arbor-Press/dp/B00077KLIC

I have a steel rectangle for the base: 3.8" x 1.5" x .5": the stamp will be 2" x 1.25". The same size steel flat bar could be used for placing on top of the stamp and receiving the pressure of the 3/4" ram. Having the 3/4" ram press down directly on the stamp might break the stamp.

Ed

I love finding ways to use tools I already have on hand.

What do you all think about using a 1/2 ton arbor press for impressing 2"wide logos?

http://www.amazon.com/1-2-Ton-Arbor-Press/dp/B00077KLIC

I have a steel rectangle for the base: 3.8" x 1.5" x .5": the stamp will be 2" x 1.25". The same size steel flat bar could be used for placing on top of the stamp and receiving the pressure of the 3/4" ram. Having the 3/4" ram press down directly on the stamp might break the stamp.

Ed

Ed,

I bought the same press from a tool company that imports everything to do that exact task. I case the leather a bit and it doesn't take much pressure. I put a slightly longer handle on it for better leverage.

Ed,

I bought the same press from a tool company that imports everything to do that exact task. I case the leather a bit and it doesn't take much pressure. I put a slightly longer handle on it for better leverage.

Great News, 45LC. What company is that. I should see if they have anything I need.

Thanks.

Ed

Great News, 45LC. What company is that. I should see if they have anything I need.

Thanks.

Ed

I didn't want to do a commercial for them so I left their name off. The company is Harbor Freight. They have lots of interesting stuff at low prices if you deal with them knowing that you're not buying the highest quality of anything but getting what you pay for. And yes, it's all from china.

I didn't want to do a commercial for them so I left their name off. The company is Harbor Freight. They have lots of interesting stuff at low prices if you deal with them knowing that you're not buying the highest quality of anything but getting what you pay for. And yes, it's all from china.

Harbor Freight actually has attachments for this press that will aid in stamping?

Thanks.

Harbor Freight actually has attachments for this press that will aid in stamping?

Thanks.

Tell me more!!

Tell me more!!

I'd like to find some steel plates between which I can sandwich a piece of leather and an embossing stamp. I've got two now, but they weren't made for this specific task. I'll know how well they work in about a week.

Ed

Try these links on for size....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=3552 :thumbsup:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=6833 :specool:

And remember, I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV ....

Troy

I don't think my 1/2 ton press is going to cut it. Infinity Stamps recommends a 2- or 3- ton press.

I'd like to get this hydraulic press from Harbor Freight, but it just seems too heavy and maybe a bit too large to be stored out of the way when not in use:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=44811

My next best choice is this 2-ton arbor press. Does anyone have experience with Palmgren arbor presses?

http://www.amazon.com/Palmgren-61201-2-Ton...977&sr=1-34

There is also this ratcheting 2-tonner, which I think may be even a better choice:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...970_35086_35086

With this ratcheting press, is it possible to ratchet down the pressure, remove your hands from the handle, and still have the same amount of pressure applied? Does the ratcheting mechanism keep force applied if you let go of the handle, which would be very nice?

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by esantoro

Ed,

45LC,

What did you use for a longer handle?

I'll probably get the 2-ton arbor press, but I'd still like to lengthen the handle on the .5 ton press. Most likely I'll have to do the same to the 2-tonner.

Ed

Ed,

A piece of 1/2 " steel rod and a couple of rubber end caps. I just guessed at how much extra length I wanted.

What did you use for a longer handle?

I'll probably get the 2-ton arbor press, but I'd still like to lengthen the handle on the .5 ton press. Most likely I'll have to do the same to the 2-tonner.

You can also go to the hardware store & buy a piece of threaded black iron pipe (used for natural gas line in houses). Slip it over the end & you have instant additional leverage. Auto mechanics have used this trick for years when needing extra leverage in breaking loose stuck lug nuts on wheels.

russ

I use an arbor press for all of my lettering and most of my 3D stamps. I also use it to imprint leather using old metal and wood printers blocks. If you are stamping thin leather use something like poundo board under the leather. A hard surface is fine on thicker leather. I extended my handle with a piece of pipe and covered the pipe with foam pipe insulation.

Just thought Id show you my press.

Made in Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Excellent piece of gear for all of my leather work. including clicking small pieces. embossing stamps and moulding leather.

Website is www.wingkaihong.com.hk

Manufactured for the covered button and buckle industry. code number is "98"

Very very useful bit of gear.

well worth having.

Cheers

Trevor

"way down Under"

press01.jpg

press02.jpg

press03.jpg

post-2565-1213877459_thumb.jpg

post-2565-1213877499_thumb.jpg

post-2565-1213877520_thumb.jpg

Just thought Id show you my press.

Made in Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Excellent piece of gear for all of my leather work. including clicking small pieces. embossing stamps and moulding leather.

Website is www.wingkaihong.com.hk

Manufactured for the covered button and buckle industry. code number is "98"

Very very useful bit of gear.

well worth having.

Cheers

Trevor

"way down Under"

Hi Trev. Looks good! Did you import it or buy it in NZ and what are they worth?

Kind regards, Tony.

That is one healthy looking press.

Last week I drilled a 3/8" hole about an inch or so into the bottom of the quill?? on mine. I made provision for two 10-32 set screws to hold whatever is put into it. I want to try some accessories for snaps and similar things. It works well for my makers stamp. Takes very little effort to press. I've even started doing it on dry leather. Of course my stamp is small so it would naturally be easier.

hey there tonyc.

found it here in NZ at one of there agents supply warehouse. Paid about $350NZ about 15 years ago.

I can make some enquiries if you want and see if there is still an agent here or better still in Oz for them if you want.?

let me know

Cheers

Trevor

"way down Under"

hey there tonyc.

found it here in NZ at one of there agents supply warehouse. Paid about $350NZ about 15 years ago.

I can make some enquiries if you want and see if there is still an agent here or better still in Oz for them if you want.?

let me know

Cheers

Trevor

"way down Under"

Thanks Trev, I'd appreciate that!

Tony.

Hi again Tonyc

wrote an email to the Hong Kong company and she said that they are about $600US. Then you have to air freight or surface mail the press to your location.

I guess it means that you are in for about a grand all up with exchange rate etc etc. (Aus $$ that is.)

She asked me if I could tell her exactly what location and she would give a more accurate quote on that answer.

So if you want to take it further I will give you all the details of her contact etc.

Cheers mate

Trevor K

All of my stamping is done on one of the H/F arbor presses....

Between 300 and 800 pieces a week...

Stamps.sized.jpg

Just drill a hole in the ram to accommodate the stem on the stamp. slide on a cheater bar, put down a piece of Corion to press against and you're in business.

We don't even case the leather....