It's been a "few" decades since I did any white dye. Now I have a white top hat request. So, any thoughts, suggestions, horror stories to share?

It's been a "few" decades since I did any white dye. Now I have a white top hat request. So, any thoughts, suggestions, horror stories to share?

I am curious to know what kind of leather you make your hats from. White cowhide/calfskin, leather is available from some one that has been mentioned here before.

ferg

I am curious to know what kind of leather you make your hats from. White cowhide/calfskin, leather is available from some one that has been mentioned here before.

ferg

So far I've just looked for the lightest leather of the appropriate weight I could find. As noted, it's be quite a while since I did the last one in white. The local Tandy suggested "Wedding White" would do the trick now. I guess I'll have to see if it does. The person requesting has already given me a second color choice if the white is a dud. Of course I don't know if lilac will cover the white evenly if the white fails to come out even.

Some days I feel like Baron Frankenstein, never knowing what's going to walk out of the "lab". :head_hurts_kr:

Okay, Fiebings White is a total waste of time. Six coats and the leather still shows through. I guess I'm going with acrylic on this one.

Acrylic worked fine for this. Two coats of white was all that was needed. Pix when the lady picks out her gee-gaws to finish it off.

Eco-Flo Cova Color White works if you have the patience to put on a few layers. Daubing helped on some stubborn spots.

Okay, Fiebings White is a total waste of time. Six coats and the leather still shows through. I guess I'm going with acrylic on this one.

I am amazed that a company like Fiebings who has great products, puts their white on the market. As Gawdzilla inplied, it is useless. I have a bottle if anyone wants it.

Ken

I also have a bottle of Fiebings. What a waste! Acrylic latex paint is the best that I"ve found.

I also have a bottle of Fiebings. What a waste! Acrylic latex paint is the best that I"ve found.

I just did an Aristocrat hat in white acrylic. The results pleased the client. She's "accessorizing" it now. I'll post a pix when it's done.

Interestingly, Lowes doesn't carry acrylic paint. They directed me to Michael's. That place is a gold mine for "accent" item.

Here's my latest top hat, in white acrylic. The lady was antsy or I would have worked on the brim some more. The scarf is one I had from the Endangered Wolf Center, she's going with a lilac lace scarf with a large broach in the front to keep it in place and a hair thingy to tie it together in the back.

DSCN4268.jpg

DSCN4269.jpg

DSCN4270.jpg

Much badmouthing on Fiebing's white color here. I'll tell you my experience. I took a piece of natural tan leather, and a piece of pitch black dyed with vinagroon (or vinegaroon, or however you decide to write it hahaha...). And first put several layers of white acrylic Cova Color on both of them, undiluted. Then I added some several layers of maybe 40/60 acrylic & water to both of them, I guess maybe 5-6 layers. I also tried Fiebing's white color, and it indeed took maybe 10-20 layers, before it actually became really white. I didn't seal or otherwise treat any of these in any way, before testing.

As for the test, I first scraped all the different applications with my thumb, then my thumbnail, and a little (but not much) of the pure acrylic came off when using the nail, especially on the "groon'ed" piece of leather. None came off on the Fiebing's color areas. Then I tried to rub the colored areas towards the corner of my table (not very hard or much), all the layers of acrylics came right off, completely. The water diluted parts still had some pale white shadow left to it, but it looked horrible and was really ruined. The Fiebing's white color lost about as much color as the water diluted acrylics left behind when rubbing against the table, some came off and left the black leather shining through somewhat. So I am all Fiebing's white, every day of the week - at least if I am doing anything that's supposed to last, and something that's meant to be used, even if it takes many layers before it gets really white.

And no, I don't work for Fiebing! ;)

I need to do a white belt for someone. Thinking about buying the Fiebings and submerging the belt into the white dye. Dunno if thats wise or not though.

You might also try NuLife spray. You can change most any color of leather to any of the 40 or so color sprays they have.

Clean the leather well first with acetone, let it dry, rough it up with 600grit sand paper to knock the shine off, first cote is a light tack cote, second coat covers, if you need a third to gloss it out wait for 10 or 15 min.s between 2nd and third coat.

polish with some shoe polish after a few hours of dry time and its done.

http://www.burtendistribution.com/showcase/charts/meltcs.htm

I have used it to change black shoes to white and it works great.

And yes it is flexible and does not crack !

One thing I found with the Fiebing's white is it makes some awesome marbling effects. I took the Fiebing's blue and green in separate bags and mixed the white with them. Then I took my veg tanned dog collar and put it in the bag. Swishing the mixture around and using my fingers on the outside of the bag, I got a very interesting swirl of colors. Just a thought.

299488_959311095983_27219394_43057344_877688295_n.jpg

well, this proves it IS good for something. those collars are really cool! a real neat effect.

Thank you Gawdzilla. Ive been looking for answers through messages for this same thing with no help. White acrylic it is then. You Rock!!!

Artist oil paint I found works. Pigment mixed with linseed oil, can be thinned and airbrushed on. I think it gives a better smother less paint like color then acrylic.

Have a request from a lass for a 5cm wide belt...in white!  Wonderful.  I did me best to have her change her change her mind, but no.  I think the only company left with white is Tarrago.  I've used Tarrago once before and found them ok.  I'll see how white fares and leave a note here.

Would anyone have an idea on who to achieve...an antique look in white?  The lass asked, if possible, to have the effect of 'shabby chic' if possible.  The things I do for customers! 

Cheers,