CrossBellLeather

Having Poblems With My Anitquing Not Coming Out Right

Hello,

I have been having some problems lately with my antiquing not coming out quiet right. Sometimes the color doesn't come out evenly or it comes out splotchy and streaked. At other times it comes out great but doesn't seem to last very long. Times like these it seems to be coming off after I have applied a sealer. ( I have been using the resolene finish by fiebings.) Any suggestions or tips that have worked for you?

Hello,

I have been having some problems lately with my antiquing not coming out quiet right. Sometimes the color doesn't come out evenly or it comes out splotchy and streaked. At other times it comes out great but doesn't seem to last very long. Times like these it seems to be coming off after I have applied a sealer. ( I have been using the resolene finish by fiebings.) Any suggestions or tips that have worked for you?

If you could post some pictures it would be helpful. What antique product are you using and what process are you following?

I've had that problem too with Fiebings antique stain, the one in the little pot. Most of the project looks fine, but every so often I'll get a dark splodge of colour that can't be removed. On items that are intricately tooled it's not too much of a problem, but on plainer areas it's really obvious. I've ended up going over it with either dye or shoe polish which changes the colour. I usually apply it with a small firm paintbrush.

I have had similar problems that totally ruin a piece. I believe it is usually associated with cold temps in the shop, like during the winter. If either the antique or the sealer freezes, some bad things happen. I believe the antique separates and the dye is able to penetrate the sealer. Maybe, sometimes I don't get a good even seal. I use a piece of sponge to apply the sealer and sometimes it just doesn't get the job done. Maybe I don't let it set long enough and it isn't fully cured before applying the antique.

That is when the neighbor kids get exposed to a few new words..... not to mention the deer that go high tailin' it.

Brent you touched on some pretty important points. I always use a piece of trimmed wool skin to apply my resist with (Neat-Lac). It's important to get complete coverage and I don't feel anything works better. I also have had concerns that temperature affects the paste. During our hot summers I see it separate a little bit, but I stir it well and have not had any problems. I feel that texture often have a lot to do with color variances. When using geometric stamps, for example, the difference in moisture in the leather can change the texture of the impression and this can show up when antiqueing.

Thanks guys for the input. I know that I am not having issues with the anitque because of temperature because I have been VERY paranoid about that problem. However, I wonder if it has to do with the quality of leather I am using? I have noticed that dye doesn't seem to be penerating as deeply and evenly as it.