rawhide1

I got the machine picked up

Howdy to all!!

I'm pretty excited I got the Pfaff picked up and can't wait to use it. The seller couldn't find the manual so I'm trying to track one down on the net. Meanwhile I have a few questions( go figure) What I'm wanting to start out sewing is some hair on stuff. The question is what size of thread should a fella use for that and what size of thread should I use for headstalls (3/16th to 1/4"thick) not sure of ounces. I reckon that when I order the thread they can tell me what size needles I need. Next question is it came with some feet can someone tell me what they are used for and will they work for what I want to do. Next question on top of the machine there are holes with red around them I reckon those get oil but how much oil and how often. And do ya have to use Pfaff oil and grease or will singer or other brands work. More questions there is a thingymbob on the side of the machine that looks like ya hook a air source to what is it and do ya have to use it. The foot looks like it lift up about 3/4" so will it so that much. This thing hasn't been ran in a year or a little better is there some stuff I need to do before I run the heck out of it (couple hrs aweek). Sorry for all the questions but this thing runs scary fast. So I want to make sure I do what I need to do so I don't break it or hurt myself!! Thanks for all the help that can be offered in helping me learn this machine. I'll have to add more pics.

Mike

IMG_1003.JPGIMG_1000.JPGIMG_1006.JPGIMG_1004.JPG

post-4953-1226244887_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1226244985_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1226245071_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1226245288_thumb.jpg

Edited by rawhide1

138 on top 92 or 99 on bottom, 120 or 130 needle, I oil mine once a week more if i am running it hard. any sewing machine oil will be fine. I am not sure what the thingyamabob is can you post a pic with some thing pointing to it. Also without seeing the feet it is hard to guess but they are probabley welting feet. Feet are easy to get and inexpensive if you need different ones. Mike I can copy my manual for you PM me your address again. Greg

Sorry I didn't notice you had photos. The thinga mabob if you are refering to the round lecer on the right side front is your stich lenght and reverse lever you turn it and move it up and down to adjust stitch length if you push it completely up and hold you are now in reverse at the same stitch lenght as when down. The single toe and double toe feet on the top row are the outside feet you will want to use the center foot you want will be realitvley flat with just small feed ridges. Greg

Here's more pics sorry I aint got this computer figured out all the way yet. Thanks Greg I'll PM ya.

The thingy is in the third picture. I dont know how to do arrows and the wife aint in.

Mike

IMG_1001.JPGIMG_1005.JPGIMG_1002.JPGIMG_1007.JPG

post-4953-1226245635_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1226245726_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1226245800_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1226245898_thumb.jpg

Looks like an air-assisted presser foot lift. Great machine and a smoking hot deal on it.

Thanks Bruce

Does a fella have to use it. This fella also has a Juki for sale I told him I'd post on here. If anyone is looking ya could probably get a deal.

Mike

Hi Mike,

You have an air lift presser foot system. The knee lift actuates an air switch to energize the air solenoid that actuates the presser foot lift. This is quite often tied into a computer control system to allow the machine to accomplish a series of actions to accomplish a particular sewing task. If you have one of these computers attached, you will need to get a manual for it. These systems are most often Pfaff on Pfaff machines. Pfaff was most often a one source solution. I can point you to some folks if you need help.

Art

Art

Thanks for your replie. I didn't get a computer with it and I don't think I would need anything that fancy for what I'm going to do. So with that being said canI take the thing off or go around it somehow to make the knee lifter work. Thanks

Mike

Hi,

It looks like you have a selection of 'piping' pressers for upholstery or maybe luggage. Most likely the machine was originally used in a factory for making something like automotive upholstery.

I don't think it will be a 'five minute' job to replace the air lifter mechanism. You will have to get hold of the necessary linkage parts to reconnect to the knee lifter under the bench.

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

SteveBrambley

Thank You for your reply. The fella I bought the machine from says his dad used it to recover furniture. You are right I don't think it will be easy to replace the system. But I really don't want to run a compressor in the house so I'll have to buck up and do it.

Mike

I can imagine your excitement in bringing home your new to you machine. I have one just like it and it works wonderful. I can't see in any pictures, but my guess is that the arm to lift the foot is still on the machine. I would keep everything as is for awhile, and forget the knee lift. I use the arm almost always and the woman I bought the machine from used it always, knee lift wasn't even mounted when I bought it. I'll bet that power lift will come in handy later tho. My good friend has a upholstery shop and he says these machines were made in Germany with excellant life expectancy. Mine came from a car upholstery shop and was used every day and for long periods of time, after years of service, she went to the new Consew because this Pfaff would not make the long stitch she wanted for car seats, it seems she wanted 3 or 4 stitches per inch. Ours won't make them that long. You mentioned speed seems fast, I am wondering if you have the 3450 rpm motor. One of my machines has that and that machine "flys" wide open, and it is hard to slip the clutch. Lots of operators do slip the clutch and far as I know, doesn't hurt them at all. Speaking of fast, when I bought my first Pfaff, he said it would sew two yard sticks together in 3-4 seconds! By the pictures, you are blessed with welt foots. One picture shows a double one, used on furniture, you wrap your material around the cord, and run it through the channel, sewing right along the cord and does so effortlessly. In some applications, they will make a double welt and staple in on right between the two welts. I notice the paint is still good on the bed, meaning not too much material has ben sewed with it. Much of the paint on mine was wore off from material passing over the bed and rubbing the end where you set your stitch length. I 've probably talked too much, but lookes like you made a good buy. Earl

Earl

Thanks for replying. I think I will leave it alone for now. I looked at the motor and it's a 1/2 horse and the rpm is 1725. But it sure looks fast to me. I guess that shows my inexperience with sewing machines.

Mike

Looks great! Dump the clutch motor and get a servo motor. Artisan has several models that will serve you well at a good price. Unless you are doing high speed production sewing that clutch motor will only be a hinderance. Getting stitch by stitch speed control with the servo will pay big dividends. I promise you that!! My Juki 1541S is the same class machine as your Pfaff. Adding the servo motor was the best thing that I ever did.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Thanks Bree

I think your right about adding the servo. But unfortunately for now I'll have to learn on this speed demon. And then change to the servo when I get some more cash.

Mike

Thanks Bree

I think your right about adding the servo. But unfortunately for now I'll have to learn on this speed demon. And then change to the servo when I get some more cash.

Mike

LOL! I used to grab hold of the flywheel and muscle the machine to do what I wanted it to do. Of course if I got heavy footed there was no way that I could hold back that clutch motor!! So it is a balancing act. You can loosen the tension on the belt just a smidge to make it easier to slip the belt which allows you more control but less power.

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Bree

I'll have to try loosening the belt. I really wont need alot of power right off.

Mike

Hi,

Bree's idea of a servo motor is really good, and in the long run, would solve your problem. However, I only use industrial clutch motors, like yours, and I can sew very slowly with them, even down to one stitch at a time; all you need is a bit of practice. Make sure that there isn't too much 'play' in the link between the foot pedal and the motor clutch arm and you will be surprised as to how slowly you will be able to sew!

Steve

Edited by SteveBrambley

Howdy to all!!I'm pretty excited I got the Pfaff picked up and can't wait to use it. The seller couldn't find the manual so I'm trying to track one down on the net. Meanwhile I have a few questions( go figure) What I'm wanting to start out sewing is some hair on stuff. The question is what size of thread should a fella use for that and what size of thread should I use for headstalls (3/16th to 1/4"thick) not sure of ounces. I reckon that when I order the thread they can tell me what size needles I need. Next question is it came with some feet can someone tell me what they are used for and will they work for what I want to do. Next question on top of the machine there are holes with red around them I reckon those get oil but how much oil and how often. And do ya have to use Pfaff oil and grease or will singer or other brands work. More questions there is a thingymbob on the side of the machine that looks like ya hook a air source to what is it and do ya have to use it. The foot looks like it lift up about 3/4" so will it so that much. This thing hasn't been ran in a year or a little better is there some stuff I need to do before I run the heck out of it (couple hrs aweek). Sorry for all the questions but this thing runs scary fast. So I want to make sure I do what I need to do so I don't break it or hurt myself!! Thanks for all the help that can be offered in helping me learn this machine. I'll have to add more pics.MikeIMG_1003.JPGIMG_1000.JPG[attachme

t=17131:MG_1006.JPG]IMG_1004.JPG

I am not sure if you know this...but it is a pfaff 1245...I know because I have the same machine...if you have any parts that you will not use and wish to sell...let me know. You can get the users guide, repair guide and adjustment book by doing a google search for "free pfaff downloads" and putting in the model # 1245...you can get everything you need free !artie in miami...newbie...this is my first post
I am not sure if you know this...but it is a pfaff 1245...I know because I have the same machine...if you have any parts that you will not use and wish to sell...let me know. You can get the users guide, repair guide and adjustment book by doing a google search for "free pfaff downloads" and putting in the model # 1245...you can get everything you need free !artie in miami...newbie...this is my first post
ps...try ebay for the foot lift lever assembly...when you download the parts book for the 1245, you can see what you need

SteveBramley

That's nice to know. I read on here somewhere about putting a tennis ball under the treadle to give more control I'll have to give it whirl. It would be nice to have the servo. Maybe after I start making a little money doing this. Until then as my daddy says poor people have poor ways!!

arteinmiami

(wow long name) Thanks for your reply and info!! I'm not to sure what all I'm going to be doing as of yet. But if I figure it out and don't need some stuff I'll keep ya in mind. And a GREAT BIG WELCOME to a dang great site.

Mike