serena

Breast plate pattern?

I was wondering if the armor makers of the forum would be willing to share how to make a pattern for a breast plate? What Im looking for is what do use for a pattern? A shirt, tank top? Im having problems wrapping my mind around the arm hole and Im sure its really easy and Im more than likely over thinking the matter, but with every pattern that I make it comes up tight in the arm/shoulder area and resticts arm movement. With looking at other armors on the web it looks like some might use a old tank top as a pattern, am I on the mark or out in left field?

Serena

The trick is to use an old, expendable t-shirt and a roll of duct tape. Just trick your intended armor recipient into donning said t-shirt, then wrap the whole business from top to bottom in duct tape. This will ensure that the pattern will fit the intended wearer. Once that's done, just take a sharpie and a measuring tape to figure out where you want to make your cuts. Then, carefully cut along the side seam of the duct taped t-shirt to remove it. Finally, cut along your sharpied lines and voila! You have your pattern.

If you intend to boil the leather (as in cuir bouilli), make certain that you allow for shrinkage of the leather due to that process when you're applying the pattern to the leather. I found that I was okay with adding about two inches all the way around for that.

Good luck! Let us see how it turns out!

Thanks Schno, I guess I should have been a little bit more clear. Im trying to also make this for my hubby as a surprise, so having him doing a duct tape dummy of himself will not work. I was thinking that if I took one of his t-shirts or tank tops that it might work but I dont want to waste my leather either.

I don't know anything about armor. But do you have a friend that is the same size as your husband? I'm not sure how tight it has to fit, so maybe that wouldn't be close enough. Just a thought. Chris

Well, I'm not an armorer by any means, but I do know that armor is generally held on with buckles which, unless designed otherwise, do provide you with a certain level of adjustability. I have to agree with Chris ^. Find a friend that is about the same size as your husband and make sure there are some size adjustment holes in the straps to buckle the breastplate on. Good luck!

~Noah

what type of breast plate are you looking to do????, the duct tape is the way to go, however since it is a surprise if you can find someone approx size of hubby go that way also

If you have any questions feel free to pm me, i have done armor before...and will be willing to help where i can

Mike

I was wondering if the armor makers of the forum would be willing to share how to make a pattern for a breast plate? What Im looking for is what do use for a pattern? A shirt, tank top? Im having problems wrapping my mind around the arm hole and Im sure its really easy and Im more than likely over thinking the matter, but with every pattern that I make it comes up tight in the arm/shoulder area and resticts arm movement. With looking at other armors on the web it looks like some might use a old tank top as a pattern, am I on the mark or out in left field?

Serena

Sorry I didn't see this sooner: take a look at Armour Archive. They have lots of patterns for all sorts of armor bits.

Thanks everyone, I will post pictures once I can get back to do some work, as my back has been giving problems.