RavenAus

Buttoned Suspenders Pattern?

Hi, I'm getting my first pair of pants with buttons for suspenders and I was wondering if anyone has a decent pattern for making my own - especially how to make the loops for the buttons. Do you need elastic? What width is best for the straps? Any tips on making my first pair? I've added a pic of the pants I've ordered so you can see the style suspenders I need :)

post-32405-0-52285100-1396955173_thumb.g

Google button suspenders(images) and you will find a wide variety of styles concerning the button straps. Elastic is often used in the main strap to reduce the crotch crawl that can happen when bending or twisting. The strap width is all about comfort and style. Wider straps support more load and spread the load out on the shoulders instead of cutting in. Narrow straps are made for lightweight dress pants.

Some years ago when I wore suspenders as part of a western costume, I modified the suspenders and pants. I used replacement jean buttons and they are kinda tall. They would dig in to my back when sitting. So I reversed it all. I had button holes sewn into the waistbands of my pants and placed the buttons on the straps. Now I could wear either suspenders or a belt with the same pants. That wont help you but thought I would add that tidbit.

Tried google and searched here, but apart from a sketch I've found nothing I could use.

Edited by RavenAus

Sorry I didnt mean you would find a pattern but the image search results in many pics that might be useful to design your own.

I have a rough idea but it's things like the loops - never done anything like those before, not that will have to take the stress they will. I've only worn clipped braces a few times. These are something completely new to me, which is why I was hoping for a pattern or some advice.

The loops on mine were sewn like purse/bag straps. Sewn in the middle to be round with 2 flat ends for the button holes. They were 3-4 oz thick veg tan. I say veg tan simply because the buttons left indentations on the straps. They slip through loops on the suspenders themselves so as they wear or tear, just the button straps need to be replaced. You might be able to purchase just one from a suspender retailer to use as a pattern but I am guessing they come in 3 packs so all are replaced at the same time.