Sign in to follow this  
Froghunter

Portable tool carrier

Here is a portable tool carrier I did in December. I held a three weekend class at my store and these are what we made. I chose a carry handle and no shoulder strap. I also played a little with contrasting colors. I wish I had some pics of the students versions. One of the students was a first timer at carving and did a SUPERB job on such a difficult project!

The cover is made out of very low grade saddle skirting. I used Eco-Flo antique dark brown on the sides and Eco-flo Green Tea on the ends and strap. I wish I would have put more thought into the strap as I am no 100% satisfied, but it is removable and some day I may get a wild hair and re-make it.

And yes, I do realize it is an ecclectic gathering of carvings.....I think thats what REALLY makes it mine!

Tell me what ya think!

tool_carrier_side.jpg

tool_carrier_dragon_side.jpg

tool_carrier_floral_side.jpg

post-5734-1202435767_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1202435802_thumb.jpg

post-5734-1202435829_thumb.jpg

I see you have been to the East. Cool tool box, can we see the inside?

If you have the Stolhman books on making cases there is a very good example of making handles for bags and cases like yours. They are easy to make with a little time.

Randy

Edited by Randy Cornelius

Very cool!

Love the way you made a space for the mallet, very clever:-)

Hey Brother,

That's a nice job. I need to create something loke that to keep me organized with my classes. Good job on the Sq. & Comp. also.. I'm with Bro. Randy, lets see the inside. Got your own gavel rack on the side also:).

Indy, PM

Hey Frog I am jealous. I like your bag. Damn it now I want one. I like how you put different styles of art on it. A good demo piece too. Way to go.

Thank you brothers and all for the compliments!

I forgot pics of the inside, they will be forthcoming later today.

Hey Brother,

I'm with Bro. Randy, lets see the inside.

Indy, PM

as requested. The holder is black walnut. No I didn't finish the inside of the leather, didn't see the need.

Hope this gives everyone some ideas!!!

tool_carrier_inside2_copy.jpg

post-5734-1202519978_thumb.jpg

Very nice....

Where did the chunk of wood come from?

How does Tandy do classes? My tandy doesnt do classes.... I was told once that I needed think of what ever I needed to learn and come down one Saturday.... and that was it....

as requested. The holder is black walnut. No I didn't finish the inside of the leather, didn't see the need.

[/quote

Good looking carry box..........NICE TO SEE WHAT A '' BROTHER'' CAN DO..

Edited by Luke Hatley

Very nice....

Where did the chunk of wood come from?

How does Tandy do classes? My tandy doesnt do classes.... I was told once that I needed think of what ever I needed to learn and come down one Saturday.... and that was it....

The chunk of wood is left over scrap from different projects and just laminated together. It was actually made for me by a customer who knew I was doing the class.

While I can't speak as to procedure at all Tandy stores, my store has classes every Sat. We offer a basic carving class in the mornings, consisting of tutorial and hands on tool usage right out of the leathercrafter handbook. This is the opportunity to introduce new people to the leatherwork madness!!! It also allows the new crafter to leave the class with a finished carving.

Most Saturdays we have new crafters just itching to learn!

In the afternoon we offer different advanced classes, ranging from mask making, to lacing/stitching to large projects. We try to encourage our customers to help us decide on class topics. We set a schedule 2 months in advance.....and pretty much stick to it!

Some of our project classes are the most fun and the fullest classes and will take multiple visits to accomplish. For the next three Saturdays our students will be making leather sandals. I'll try to get some pics today of the class and share with y'all. We have done the tool carriers, belt classes, classes on dying and finishing with our products, we try to give the new leatherworker a decent start from which to build.

Very cool, thank you Froggy....

Cool idea for the maul Frog, nice design compilation too. I've been wanting to do one of those,(not much need for traveling tools lately) but I really have needed to do a set of blocks for the drawrs in my tooling desk. Problem is I haven't a drill press. Now you have me wanting to check around the neighborhood. I hadn't thought of lam blocks, got hard wood stuck in my head.

Thanks for showing your stuff.GH

Frogmaster,

Wicked cool project. I didn't figure it out until I saw the walnut block... with snaps...

The leather part is just a "cozy" that snaps onto the block. That's friggin' brilliant! Not sure who gets the kudo's for inventing the idea, but that's pretty cool. I like the 'nut (got board-feets of it in the garage) a lot. It looks like you did some cross-graining (good for stability) on the block, plus it makes for some nice color tone effects.

I don't want to downplay the wonderful leatherwork either. Very eclectic, very cool!

Nicely done!

Hey Bro.,

I see six snaps on the cover but only one centered on the block per side. Is the one strong and stable enough to hold carrying it loaded with tools by the handle?

Indy