RavenAus

Steampunk Full Corset Tandy Pattern - Boning?

Hi, just bought this pattern from https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/p-1825-steampunk-full-corset.aspx%C2'> I'm planning on making it up. Has anyone made one of these before? I'd love to see your version.

I'm thinking of adding some boning, anyone have any better idea of where to put it than just along the seams?

post-32405-0-24928900-1405951501_thumb.j

I've got it cut out and ready to assemble, along with reinforcing strips for the eyelets :)

First impressions - Tandy are using the rivets to pull the panels into shape. This is wrong, the panels should be shaped correctly to start with. Hope you've got something like a post to rivet the cups on...

As usual, the edges are pretty much hit and miss as to alignment, which isn't helped by the whole panel being warped to match the rivet holes. If you don't stretch the panel to make the holes match one is too long.

Only one size so lets hope whoever you want to make it for is 36-28-36...

Would not recommend...

Raven, I haven't used this pattern but if the leather is thick enough, boning is not normally necessary. Depending on the style and period of the corset, the boning in corsets is to hold the fabric taut so it stays in the shape you would like or so that it doesn't crumple down around the middle. If the leather was lightweight, you could double bone the seams or add additional bones between the seams in the middle of the panels. Hope this is helpful for your next one, as from your post, this one is a disappointment :-(

The pattern recommends 4-5oz which is about what I'm using - 1.6-1.8mm - so it's not heavyweight. It's more the way the pattern is worked out that's the problem, with the seams being uneven length, so you have to stretch one side to fit the other. I have a friend who's going to draft me an underbust pattern for one of her outfits - we're collaborating on a runway outfit for a fashion show at an event I'm at - so that should give me a decent pattern to work from :) though it's a shame about the overbust

I've completed the corset now, will post in Show Off :)