SouthernCross

What Do I Need To Buy When I Go To Tandy, Leatherwise?

So, when I go to my local Tandy store to get leather to start making holsters what should I be shopping for? Tooling sides? tooling shoulders? etc. ,etc.? I'm thinking probably about 7 oz. as a general weight.

Edited by SouthernCross

My opinion is don't go to Tandy for your leather you can get a shoulder of Herman Oak (US tanned) for a bout the same price as a shoulder from Tandy. The Herman Oak is much better. If you do still want to go to Tandy then get a shoulder. What kind of holster are you making Concealed carry, Western etc.?

Concur with C R. I made my first few holsters with Tandy leather. Made the switch to HO and never looked back. Springfield Leather usually has a great sale on the HO Craftsman grade. I'd look there first. Springfield sales squares of HO. You can get a piece of 24"x 24" for around $50. I've bought a couple lately and the quality is top notch.

Edited by CountryTrash

I already have all the tools I'll need - sewing, stamping, cutting, etc.. I've tinkered some making a little bit of everything over the past couple of years, but now want to try making a OWB and shoulder holsters for guns ranging from a 337-1 revolver, Sig .380, to a Berettta 92.

The only reason I mentioned Tandy is that it's just off the highway on my way to/from work. If I can get better leather at the same price by having it shipped from somewhere like Springfield, I'll certainly do it.

BTW, what's the difference between a side and a shoulder? The shoulder is just the front part? Then what's the rear part called?

The rear is called the back, which is the center of the hide, usually minus the belly. Some companies will also sell a cut they call a butt.

If you scroll down to the bottom here, you'll see a nice diagram that will help you decide. The thickest, firmest leather is usually found on the back and shoulder, and it is typically thickest at the butt. The best belts are those cut front to back, parallel to the spine. Poorer quality goes side-to-side, and is therefore uneven in thickness and firmness. The closer you get to the belly, the mushier and stretchier the leather.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/leatherguide/leatherguide.aspx

When you fihure in the shipping it will cost you a little more then Tandy. However the quality of holster will be much better and worth a few extra dollars.

A side is a lot more money. If you are going to do a lot of holsters and cut your own straps the side might be the way to go, however the side has belly leather and usually some neck leather. Belly leather is not good for holsters.

This may help explain the parts of the hide. Looks like winter bear and I were typing about the same time. sorry for the duplication.

post-15001-0-90000600-1373747382_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge

This may help explain the parts of the hide. Looks like winter bear and I were typing about the same time. sorry for the duplication.

Great minds think alike?

Would confirm the Herman Oak too. I only use Tandy stuff for the Scouts and kids to beat on, and for me to practice on, but that is only because I can go there and pick through the pile, but generally what I get is middling at best. Got my hands on some HO, and really had some fun with it--cuts nice, burnishes beautifully, nice flesh sides, better grain sides than what Tandy has, and had less waste. Tandy is a good place for scraps to practice dye techniques on, and for me to pick through the bins for hair on scrap and metallic scrap, and some of the materials I use for Scout projects, but I tend to use Springfield for leather and leather supplies, and Centralia, Chichester, Crazy Crow, and a couple of ebay sellers I've bought from before for everything else.

When you fihure in the shipping it will cost you a little more then Tandy. However the quality of holster will be much better and worth a few extra dollars.

A side is a lot more money. If you are going to do a lot of holsters and cut your own straps the side might be the way to go, however the side has belly leather and usually some neck leather. Belly leather is not good for holsters.

The Springfield website says they can cut off the neck and belly. Do they still charge for that leather or what? If not, why pay for it?

Springfield charges by the square foot that you purchase. Call and talk to them they are pretty good people to work with and will answer all of your questions.

Thanks for the reply... We have 2 Tandy's here... The manager of one was telling me today that he was ashamed of the quality of leather that they have been getting lately... He told me "Honestly, we don't have anything that you want here." ... I was simply looking for a decent 7-8 oz tooling hide for my holsters... Pathetic. Any idea what Springfield charges for shipping on a hide??? ... I asked Wickett & Craig they told me $40-50 a hide (tooling hide)... Seems a little much to me... But I did get a nice sample set in the mail today... If that whole hide was the same sweetness as that sample, I could deal with the shipping charges....

Thanks for the reply... We have 2 Tandy's here... The manager of one was telling me today that he was ashamed of the quality of leather that they have been getting lately... He told me "Honestly, we don't have anything that you want here."

Not a smart move for a manager of the evil empire to talk down about their products. They have a very paranoid management structure, and if what you say is true and it was

repeated here on this public forum, they will probably replace him for it.

Edited by Studio-N

Tandy just needs to start being a distributor for HO, plain and simple. It's a better product and for some it's more convenient to drive to the local store and pick what they need. I know I would have given them more business if that we're the case.

When I'm making something to sell, or just want better quality at lower prices, I go to Springfield not Tandy. Lower prices if you're a Gold member.

I am fortunate to have two sources for my leather working supplies in the same town. Tandy's and S & D Trading Company. S &D sells only Herman's Oak leather and that is where I go. I don't even know where the Tandy store is located.

I quit buying from the old Tandy company long before they folded because of the quaility of their leather and the fact it was always sold as one thickness more than it actually was. From things I have heard and also read on the internet things haven't changed with the new company and I'm not interested in checking them out.

Tandy has become the "walmart" of the leather world. You certainly don't go to walmart to buy anything of quality... Seems to be the same with tandy also.

Well, I can get some nice leathers there still for a comparable price (just not the veg tan so much), and it's nice to pick out leathers in person--for this, Tandy is my only option, there is nothing else that will deal with a small hobbyist within a 4 hour radius unless I wait until the sellers come in during CFD, at which point I'd pay premium prices for anything from a vendor there. And Tandy, even if the quality has gone down hill from past years, is still a good place to get kids interested in leathercrafting. The simple knife pouch, bracelet or belt made at summer camp or during a workshop is often a kid's prized possession or memento. It may be a Walmart of leather, but sometimes it's what gets people started.

I think it should be clear that a production leather shop needs something much more durable than that which a hobbiest uses. As has been said by others on this forum, Tandy fills a niche no one else seems willing to fill. A person just getting started or toying with the idea of leather working needs affordable tools to learn with.

I don't see why Tandy couldn't carry both grades of leather..maybe the cheaper stuff for new people that are learning, and a higher grade for pros. In all honesty, I do like their more exotic leathers, and upholstery hides, but their tooling leather leaves something to be desired..

Concur with Tandy having its purpose. When I lived in San Diego the Tandy shop was 30 minutes away. I bought most of my supplies and tools from them and I have no complaints about them. They were convenient. On the other hand when I started using HO I always had to order it. It is very nice for a beginner to walk in not knowing what he/she needs and be able to see a product and ask questions. For that I think they do a real good job.

Edited by CountryTrash

Jeff L,

I'm surprised W&C quoted you that much for shipping. I bought an 8/10 oz. skirting back (20 sq. ft.) and they shipped it to me in AZ for right about $20 if memory serves. It certainly wasn't $40-50. Springfield's very good about shipping as inexpensively as possible.

Paul

The Tandy near me (Quebec, Canada) carries "European tooling cowhide"

I like the quality of this veg tan leather, and is close to that from Moore Pearsall, the other local leather distributer from whom Cirque du Soleil buys their leather to make their masks (so I'm told).

Jeff L,

I'm surprised W&C quoted you that much for shipping. I bought an 8/10 oz. skirting back (20 sq. ft.) and they shipped it to me in AZ for right about $20 if memory serves. It certainly wasn't $40-50. Springfield's very good about shipping as inexpensively as possible.

Paul

Yep Paul, $40-$50 from PA to AZ plus a $.35/per ft. surcharge that they say took effect May 1,2013.

Yeah, I got an email from them about the surcharge back in April. You have me a bit worried about that shipping quote. I've only bought two backs from them so far, and only had one of them shipped. The other one they brought with them to the trade show in Wickenburg (which will be in Prescott next year.)

Paul

Thanks for the reply... We have 2 Tandy's here... The manager of one was telling me today that he was ashamed of the quality of leather that they have been getting lately... He told me "Honestly, we don't have anything that you want here." ... I was simply looking for a decent 7-8 oz tooling hide for my holsters... Pathetic. Any idea what Springfield charges for shipping on a hide??? ... I asked Wickett & Craig they told me $40-50 a hide (tooling hide)... Seems a little much to me... But I did get a nice sample set in the mail today... If that whole hide was the same sweetness as that sample, I could deal with the shipping charges....

I use Wickett and Craig only, in fact I now use their drum dyed harness and latigo leathers. They are veg-tanned, and finished with varying degrees of waxes to create durable leather with beautiful deep colors, they don't even require finishing! I've used the carving, English bridle, and belt latigo(my favorite so far) and am going to order some of their harness leather soon. The customer service is fantastic, the shipping is fast, just great overall. The last two sides I ordered were under $400 shipped, but then I am in the same state. That being said, Tandy has been my friend many times when I need some hide and don't have much cash, you can always go to Tandy and walk out with a piece of leather that will get the job done.

Edited by jbossartcustomgunleather

Yes Tandy has its place, as does wall mart and the like. Leather work is not a cheap undertaking.

Big Summer clearance sale on right now at Tandy, so will go on my day off but I am not buying leather....unless its real cheap :dance: