CustomDoug

Spring Loaded Edge Guide Presser Feet / Compensating Guides

Does anyone here have any experience with the Presser Feet (Singer 111 style - fits the many clones thereof) that have the built in edge guides in various widths? These guides are spring loaded I think and may also be called "compensating guides". How do you like them or are they more trouble than they're worth?

Does anyone here have any experience with the Presser Feet (Singer 111 style - fits the many clones thereof) that have the built in edge guides in various widths? These guides are spring loaded I think and may also be called "compensating guides". How do you like them or are they more trouble than they're worth?

We use them extensively in the factory. They work well for following an edge between 1/16" and 1/4" for topstitching. They come in right side and left side. You order them according to what side of the the foot you want the guide on. For example an 1/8R refers to an 1/8" guide that will give you straight topstitching on the right side of your foot. The measurement is from the center of your needle. If you order them for a compound feed machine (the 111), get the style that has the slot cut all the way out the front of the foot or you'll need to do it with a Dremel.

You can get hinged and non-hinged guide feet. I prefer the hinged ones as they'll walk over seams easier. If the guide is fixed, bear in mind it extends below the main part of the foot. On thick material, this is fine, however if you topstitch thinner material, you may get some material "flagging" from the material not being held firmly to the feed dogs and plate. This causes poor feeding and skipped stitches.

Regards, Eric

Ahh, these excel at topstitching a seam rather than sewing an original seam together.. that makes a lot of since. thanks for the info.

Ahh, these excel at topstitching a seam rather than sewing an original seam together.. that makes a lot of since. thanks for the info.

Exactly. For seam sewing, I use a mounted edge guide or an adjustable drop guide. The exception is when we do GoreTex and we join using a 1/4" seam which is narrower than normal since we go back and seam seal it with 1" tape. They do however make whatever topstitching you may do look very nice.

Regards, Eric

I have both spring guides and compensating feet. They serve a different purpose. The spring guide presser foot can be used as an edge guide, as long as the material is at least 1/16 inch thick. I find them useful on my walking foot machine which has a swing away roller guide, where I need to go around an edge that is on top of another layer (e.g. a rifle sling where the body and lining captures the tail).

The compensating feet are better used for top stitching, as Eric pointed out. The sprung toe or toes are not as square on the bottom as a leaf spring and tend to run up onto the upper level if you're not careful. I use the compensating feet on my straight stitch machine and spring guide feet on the walking foot machine.

Normally I just use a left toe foot and my swing away edge guide.

None of these apply to 441 or 205 type machines.

I have both spring guides and compensating feet. They serve a different purpose. The spring guide presser foot can be used as an edge guide, as long as the material is at least 1/16 inch thick. I find them useful on my walking foot machine which has a swing away roller guide, where I need to go around an edge that is on top of another layer (e.g. a rifle sling where the body and lining captures the tail).

The compensating feet are better used for top stitching, as Eric pointed out. The sprung toe or toes are not as square on the bottom as a leaf spring and tend to run up onto the upper level if you're not careful. I use the compensating feet on my straight stitch machine and spring guide feet on the walking foot machine.

Normally I just use a left toe foot and my swing away edge guide.

None of these apply to 441 or 205 type machines.

Wiz,

Where did you get that edge guide? I was watching your video on youtube and i kinda want one.

Thanks

Wiz,

Where did you get that edge guide? I was watching your video on youtube and i kinda want one.

Thanks

Bob Kovar, owner of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, sells those guides. They are custom made from a swing away flat edge guide and a sliding roller edge guide. I use thin lock nuts under and over the roller guide's slot to keep it from moving back with the work (the roller is already angled backwards). The thumb nut has to be tightened down a lot to keep the roller from moving backwards.

I know I'm reviving an old subject here.. sorry. But would these spring loaded presser feet be useful for keeping straight lines while doing a French Seam on chrome tanned leather (like doing auto upholstery) ? Would the springed part ride nicely in between the seem as I sew or is that asking too much from it? I haven't actually picked any up yet but here's an example of the feet I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390403603648?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Edited by CustomDoug

Those spring guide feet are available in right side, left side and varying distances from the needle. They are very useful for times when a swing-away edge guide won't work.

There is also a foot with a spring or piece of steel guide on the front center. It is used to install blind zippers. As far as I know, they are only available for straight stitch machines, not walking foot.

ok for a walking foot machine, what could I use to improve the stitch lines of my french seams? My stitch lines could stand to be a little more consistently straight. I was hoping that this would fit into the center channel of the seam which would control the straightness of my line.

ok for a walking foot machine, what could I use to improve the stitch lines of my french seams? My stitch lines could stand to be a little more consistently straight. I was hoping that this would fit into the center channel of the seam which would control the straightness of my line.

I guess a 1/8 inch left or right side edge guide foot set would be nice.

Edited by Wizcrafts

I hate to revive an old topic, but where do I find the compensating feet that would fit a Cobra Class 4 machine?  The ones that I came across don't seem to work for a machine like mine.  

3 hours ago, Anubis78 said:

I hate to revive an old topic, but where do I find the compensating feet that would fit a Cobra Class 4 machine?  The ones that I came across don't seem to work for a machine like mine.  

There aren't any commercially available. You would have to hire a machine shop to make them for you. The 441 and its clones have very few presser feet to choose from.

7 hours ago, Anubis78 said:

What type of foot are you looking for or perhaps I should ask what do you want the foot to do specifically? Is this picture the type of thing you mean? Regards Brian

kh441rg.jpg

RockyAussie, I need something that looks like the second foot or a compensating foot. I'm assuming that the second one is a guide foot. I'm looking to sew two straps, of different widths, together.  I want to insure that my stitching is exact along the edge of the top (smaller width) strap.

10 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

There aren't any commercially available. You would have to hire a machine shop to make them for you. The 441 and its clones have very few presser feet to choose from.

I wish that I would have known that earlier... it would have influenced my choice of machine.  I'm sure that it would cost an arm and a leg to have these made.  

The feet in that ebay listing above are standard Singer 111 class feet and will not fit your Cobra.

You can also use a swing-down edge guide to guide along an edge of a layer on top of another material. The edge guide roller can "float" above the bottom layer and follow the edge of the top layer. You'll need the edge guide (KG-867 or KG967), and mounting adapter (KB205), and a hand lever extension (UX441).  

KG-441-KIT-side.jpg

14 minutes ago, Uwe said:

The feet in that ebay listing above are standard Singer 111 class feet and will not fit your Cobra.

You can also use a swing-down edge guide to guide along an edge of a layer on top of another material. The edge guide roller can "float" above the bottom layer and follow the edge of the top layer. You'll need the edge guide (KG-867 or KG967), and mounting adapter (KB205), and a hand lever extension (UX441).  

Thank you Uwe.  Any suggestion in where to find these parts? 

I have the swing down edge guide parts available, send me PM for details. 

Here's a photo of the edge guide presser foot Kwok Hing makes, but I don't have these in stock right right now:

_MG_1567 copy.jpg

16 hours ago, Anubis78 said:

RockyAussie, I need something that looks like the second foot or a compensating foot. I'm assuming that the second one is a guide foot. I'm looking to sew two straps, of different widths, together.  I want to insure that my stitching is exact along the edge of the top (smaller width) strap.

Ok I did a test for you of the above feet supplied by Ewe and the pictures show the results. The top strap would need to be more than 2mm thick or youd need to sand some off the bottom edge of the foot to go any thinner. The distance from the edge is 1/8" or 3mm if you like. The centre/front foot fitted straight on no problem but I did have to grind out the slot a whisker on the back foot but that is more than likely my machine a bit. Metal is hard and the quality is good. If this is what you are needing let me know if you have any trouble getting one there. Brian

DSC01416_resize.JPG

DSC01418_resize.JPG

DSC01419_resize.JPG