lazybum

Screws For Converting Conchos Into Snaps

Hi may I know where can i find the concho adapter screws in ohiotravelbag's catalog? I see a lot of suitable looking ones but im not too sure which has the right threading

The chicago screw heads that came with the conchos are too big and cant be used to convert the concho into a line 24 snap. The snap won't close.

Ive seen screws with the right threading in my local hardware shop but they're all too long. I would like something that is 1/4" and shorter in length.

I know there are the concho adapters from tandy but they come with washers and female parts that I don't need. So im looking for the screws only. Hopefully its cheaper.

Edited by lazybum

A lot of wire crimpers have a device in the handle to clip these screws to length.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=214&group_ID=796

They are a lot cheaper than the ones I pictured here, usually $12 to $15 at the local hardware, maybe cheaper at the chains and discount stores.

Art

Hi may I know where can i find the concho adapter screws in ohiotravelbag's catalog? I see a lot of suitable looking ones but im not too sure which has the right threading

The chicago screw heads that came with the conchos are too big and cant be used to convert the concho into a line 24 snap. The snap won't close.

Ive seen screws with the right threading in my local hardware shop but they're all too long. I would like something that is 1/4" and shorter in length.

I know there are the concho adapters from tandy but they come with washers and female parts that I don't need. So im looking for the screws only. Hopefully its cheaper.

Those screws that thread into the conchos are 8/32 - size 8, 32 threads per inch. The Tandy screw is 3/16" long which I have found, but I have not found them with a small enough head to fit down inside a Line 24. I have found them in the standard slot and phillips head and I modify the heads so they fit down into the snap. You can cut longer ones like Art suggested, if you do, find a nut that fits and thread it all the way up before you cut it with the nippers. After you nip it off, dress it with a file, when you remove the nut it will help clean the threads and makes the job a little quicker.

If you find some, like those in the Tandy kit, that will fit inside the Line 24 I'm interested in knowing the maker and/or scource of supply.

Good luck on your quest.

Edited by Billsotx

Those screws that thread into the conchos are 8/32 - size 8, 32 threads per inch. The Tandy screw is 3/16" long which I have found, but I have not found them with a small enough head to fit down inside a Line 24. I have found them in the standard slot and phillips head and I modify the heads so they fit down into the snap. You can cut longer ones like Art suggested, if you do, find a nut that fits and thread it all the way up before you cut it with the nippers. After you nip it off, dress it with a file, when you remove the nut it will help clean the threads and makes the job a little quicker.

If you find some, like those in the Tandy kit, that will fit inside the Line 24 I'm interested in knowing the maker and/or scource of supply.

Good luck on your quest.

I have been looking also there has to be somewhere to get those cheaper

I take a regular screw from my stock of Chicago screws and grind the diameter of the head down. I sacrifice a 3/8" post and mash it into a vice grip for a holder. I put the screw in and roll it around a grinding wheel to take down the diameter of the head. I run it over a wire wheel to smooth the edge and unscrew it from the holder. Takes maybe 20-30 seconds each once you are set up. The screw heads don't sit up proud and interfere with the snaps closing on some snap sets either.

:rules::rules::rules: Caveat and safety warning -- WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!! If you present the screw head to the wheel in the direction that would unscrew it, it will do so in a very short period of time (nanoseconds) and become a projectile. You have a 50% chance of doing this. I am never smart enought to figure out that rotation deal without flinging the first one every now and again. Then I turn the holder around and it works. Since I do about 50 at a time, they last a while and I forget which way to stand when I run another batch. I shared this tip with a guy on another forum and I am sure he would like for me to share his warning as well. It is possible to shoot out three flourescent shop light bulbs with a single errant flying screw. :oops: YMMV.

Tandy........Save on labor. Get to know your tandy store close to you you will eventually get a better price.

Here a link to the screws you are looking for

http://www.conchos.com/11cosnadscpa.html