renegadelizard

Small Satchel Pattern

Hey Guys and Gals,

I got a request yesterday for a holster that, well, isnt a holster...what he described is basically a satchel that would fit under his truck seat, hold a gun and a few spare mags and a flashlight. So here I am trying to figure out the best way to make this thing. My biggest concern really how the sides and bottom connect to the front and back...do you guys pre-shape that piece, or?...i know, its probably a dumb question but im a simple holster maker and this thing has me stumped...

One warning on a container like this.

Make sure that the firearm is secured in the case. You don't want it going off because the trigger got caught in the flashlight and was tripped on a big bump.

Sew a holster inside of the case so that it is secure at all times. Id even use a retention strap with a thumb snap.

post-22515-068328800 1346271727_thumb.jp

This is one way to attach the back or front the the sides. The sides and bottom are one piece. You sew the edges together first on the back and they the front. The pattern is for a saddle bag. You could so the side piece as one piece without the reinforcement shown on this pattern. Its just shown so you can see the concept. This bag was laced not sewn. For the size you need I doubt you would need the rivets. Just saddle stitch or machine stitch it.

Edited by mlapaglia

One warning on a container like this.

Make sure that the firearm is secured in the case. You don't want it going off because the trigger got caught in the flashlight and was tripped on a big bump.

Sew a holster inside of the case so that it is secure at all times. Id even use a retention strap with a thumb snap.

post-22515-068328800 1346271727_thumb.jp

This is one way to attach the back or front the the sides. The sides and bottom are one piece. You sew the edges together first on the back and they the front. The pattern is for a saddle bag. You could so the side piece as one piece without the reinforcement shown on this pattern. Its just shown so you can see the concept. This bag was laced not sewn. For the size you need I doubt you would need the rivets. Just saddle stitch or machine stitch it.

Good call on the security issue...i was thinking elastic pocket for the gun....

I am woring on a simular idea, and messenger style\range bag. I was going to stitch a holster (Actually 1\2 of a holster to the back of the bag with a tretension strap holding it in. In you r case if the user wants easyeays\quick access then this is not the answer. if it is just for transpor then maybe it will work.

Before we worry about wet forming....what type of leather are you planning to use? If you make it out of all veg tan, then you simply wet the leather and fold over/out then let dry. If you make the front and rear panels with veg tan, but use a chrome tan gusset, you don't have to wet form at all - just tack it down and sew it in place. This would be much easier to do and would be somewhat collapsible (front to back) to fit under a seat....depending of course on how thick you make the bag.

You could also check out a thread called "Wet Formed Bag Tutorial" and just forget about even having a gusset. The front piece is molded around to make the sides as well. Then, you could make the retention devices on a panel, attach the back panel to that one and sew the whole thing along the edges so you'd have no stitches visible on the back side....just one stitch line around the edge.

i ended up just muscling it around....i made a last for it, but ended up not using it...its made out of horsehide with a layer of oil tan on the outside...very thick all at the seams...my cobra ate it for dinner, but i had to hand sew the corners....it was just so thick it didnt want to bend, even wet...i was gonna go with a softer gusset, but the satchel conceals a full size gun via a frame loop and retention strap, and the customer wanted it stiff...well, its stiff all right..you could stand on it....the small size is what gave me fits, 9X7X2.5 inches high...that doesnt leave alot of room...in the end, im happy with the result...but now i know why these satchels and leather attorneys cases are so expensive....the amount of work that goes into them is staggering...even the simple ones...i used 13 dollars in contact cement alone...ive been high as a kite for 2 days...lol...ill get some pics up of it in the next couple of days....