Sign in to follow this  
meanfidler

First Belt - Advice Please?

Here's my first post and first belt. I started doing leatherwork a month ago because as a New Mexico native I like western wear and cowboy stuff and living abroad in the UK you don't find hardly anything. I am still trying to decide how to finish this project.

I made it from a craftaid pattern and sorry the photo isn't great but any advice/help and I'll be much obliged!

post-22075-023258400 1310323168_thumb.jp

Edited by meanfidler

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!!

As far as finishing it, it really depends on what you have at hand. A light coating of oil and some sunshine and it could pass for done. If you want more definition, you might consider antiquing it. Do you have access to "leather finishes" or are you making due with what you can?

When you finish your belt do the edges also.

ferg

Here's my first post and first belt. I started doing leatherwork a month ago because as a New Mexico native I like western wear and cowboy stuff and living abroad in the UK you don't find hardly anything. I am still trying to decide how to finish this project.

I made it from a craftaid pattern and sorry the photo isn't great but any advice/help and I'll be much obliged!

As far as finishing it, it really depends on what you have at hand. A light coating of oil and some sunshine and it could pass for done. If you want more definition, you might consider antiquing it. Do you have access to "leather finishes" or are you making due with what you can?

I have some neatsfoot oil but sunshine here is hard to come by! Therre is a tandy that I can use by internet so I might try to get some antiquing from them, any brand better that any other? Thank you so much for your reply! It is great to have people like yourself to ask questions.

When you finish your belt do the edges also.

ferg

I used a slicker and some water, but I think I need to put some more elbow grease into it to get a better effect? Thank you for your reply! I will post another photo when I finish. I will appreciate your advice on the finished belt. At least I will have something to wear that reminds me a little of home.

Edited by meanfidler

Access Bob Park (Hidepounder) for everything you need to know about burnishing edges of leather.

URL for some of the best information you will ever receive :)http://leatherworker.net/bob-park/FinishingEdges-2-15-11.pdf

ferg

I used a slicker and some water, but I think I need to put some more elbow grease into it to get a better effect? Thank you for your reply! I will post another photo when I finish. I will appreciate your advice on the finished belt. At least I will have something to wear that reminds me a little of home.

In lieu of sunshine, you could always rent a tanning bed for a half hour......

also, besides just slicking the edge, burnish it with a cloth. Look in the 'how do I do that' section and read the tutorial by Hidepounder on edges.

Here's my belt with a coat of neatsfoot and some very rare UK sunshine. The keep seems to have darkened a lot more than the belt? I like the color of the keep, so how could I match the belt up with the keep? Many Thanks in advance!

post-22075-052829500 1310460923_thumb.jp

Here's my belt finished. I darkened it some more with oil, then used acryilc to paint the background. I am learning some every day and next I'll try to make some small stuff to go with the belt. This is a great site!!

post-22075-033829800 1310637885_thumb.jp